There were some outstanding performances at yesterday’s well-attended Muskerry Hunt point-to-point fixture at Curraheen and the Declan Queally-trained/ridden Rocky’s Treasure hinted that a bright track career lies in wait by making a stylish winning debut in the five-year-old geldings’ maiden.
The hooded Rocky’s Treasure (4/1), a son of Westerner, always travelled well in the 13-runner contest and he took up the running clearly travelling best after the second last.
The Canny Man was destined for second spot when making a horrendous blunder at the final fence and he faded to finish fourth as Jennys Day filled the runner-up berth, some six lengths adrift of the Mrs Margaret Kiely-owned Rocky’s Treasure.
Queally went away with three winners altogether and he got off the mark aboard the Louis Archdeacon-trained 12-year-old Mountain Lough (7/4) in the open.
Mountain Lough, representing Archdeacon’s wife Michelle, atoned for finishing second to Truckin All Night at Dromahane just seven days earlier by storming clear before the penultimate of the 13 obstacles to slam Ordinary Man by 12 lengths. Mountain Lough could now run in a 0-102 handicap chase over two and a half miles at Killarney in a fortnight’s time.
Archdeacon supplied the Cappagh amateur with his remaining victory aboard Fortune Bound (4/1) in the concluding six-year-old and upwards geldings’ maiden, the race that attracted the biggest field of the day in 15 runners.
Fortune Bound, having been placed on eight previous occasions, swept clear between the final two obstacles to dispose of Templemicheal by six lengths and a tilt at the p2p.ie bumper at Tipperary on May 12th is now on the agenda for the Joe and Kathleen O’Callaghan-owned chesnut.
TBA & Tattersalls Ireland 4-Y-O Mares’ Maiden (1st Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) K Cotter’s Mere Detail br f (Definite Article – Grangeclare Dancer) 11-10 Mr B O’Neill
2) Mrs S Neville’s Cheltenham Mati (FR) 11-5 Mr C L Murphy
3) Monbeg Syndicate’s Lenten Rose 11-10 Mr P D Collins
12 ran. 1 1/2L, Hd, 8L. (Trd: Colin Bowe)
4-Y-O Mares’ Maiden (2nd Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) C Hearne’s The Wicket Chicken b f (Milan – Soniadoir) 11-10 Mr J P O’Rourke
2) Mrs L Motherway’s Rebel Yeats 11-10 Mr J C Barry
3) T P Meagher’s Chosen Rose 11-10 Mr J J Slevin
12 ran. 4L, 4L, 3L. (Winner trained by Denis Paul Murphy)
Killian Lynch Auctioneers, Macroom & Millstreet 5-Y-O Geldings’ Maiden of €800. 3 Miles
1) Mrs M C Kiely’s Rocky’s Treasure b g (Westerner – Fiddlers Bar) 12-1 Mr D L Queally
2) J Draddy & J O’Riordan’s Jennys Day 11-10 Mr M C O’Donovan
3) S O’Neill’s Flaggan 12-1 Mr B O’Neill
13 ran. 6L, 2L, 4L. (Winner trained by Declan Queally)
Blarney Castle Estates Open Lightweight of €1, 000. 3 Miles
1) Mrs M Archdeacon’s Mountain Lough ch g (Anshan – Marlonette) 12-12-1 Mr D L Queally
2) W J Burke’s Ordinary Man 11-12-1 Mr T Feeney
3) Mrs M Brennan’s Skip A Beat Kid 7-12-1 Mr B O’Neill
7 ran. 12L, 10L, 15L. (Winner trained by Louis Archdeacon)
Oriel House Hotel 5-Y-O & Upwards Mares’ Maiden (1st Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) J P F Walsh & Mrs K White’s Bollman Lady b m (Beneficial – River Mousa) 6-11-10 Mr B O’Neill
2) J J O’Neill’s Dolly’s Dot 5-11-10 Mr R Deegan
3) P Buckner’s Laura’s Lark 7-11-10 Mr D L Queally
11 ran. 8L, 4L, 6L. (Winner trained by Colin Bowe)
Oriel House Hotel 5-Y-O & Upwards Mares’ Maiden (2nd Div) of €800. 3 Miles
1) J J Devaney’s Tranquil Magic b m (Gold Well – Bondi Babe) 5-11-10 Mr B O’Neill
2) Ms A Brislane’s Kings Dolly 6-11-10 Mr J C Barry
3) P G Higgins & Ms S Donatantonio’s Trepuco Mist 7-11-5 Mr S J P Baragry
10 ran. 6L, 10L, 5L. (Winner trained by Colin Bowe)
*Strangsmill passed the post in first place in this race, but was disqualified for taking the incorrect course
Harkin & Associates Winners Of One of €800. 3 Miles
1) D McCarthy’s Leila’s Island ch m (Beneficial – Lady Leila) 6-11-10 Mr M J O’Connor
2) K Purcell’s Burrnebridge Hotel 5-12-1 Mr D L Queally
3) P O’Shea’s Ourson (FR) 9-12-1 Mr P D Collins
10 ran. 10L, 8L, 15L. (Trd: DG McCarthy)
Master Link 6-Y-O & Upwards Geldings’ Maiden of €800. 3 Miles
1) J & Mrs K O’Callaghan’s Fortune Bound ch g (Primary – Special Artist) 7-12-1 Mr D L Queally
2) J & D Browne’s Templemichael 7-12-1 Mr E P O’Brien
3) C Clarke’s Just The Article 8-12-1 Mr C W Fennessy
15 ran. 6Ll, 4L, 1L. (Winner trained by Louis Archdeacon)
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved