Trainer Nicky Henderson has confirmed that Sprinter Sacre will make his seasonal reappearance in the williamhill.com Desert Orchid Chase at Kempton on December 27.
Sprinter Sacre had been due to run in the Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown on December 7, but the seven-year-old returned a dirty tracheal wash in the days leading up to that race and Henderson decided it was best not to risk him.
Given he only ran in Grade One races last season, many felt it would be the Sodexho Clarence House Chase (formerly the Victor Chandler) at Ascot on January 18 before racing fans would get to see him in action again.
Henderson told Press Association Sport: “Sprinter will go to Kempton, we’ve had a lot of people asking so we thought it best to let everybody know.
“The antibiotics he took cleared up his little problem he had before the Tingle Creek in no time at all.
“He worked very well on Saturday and again this morning and we scoped him yesterday and it was clean.
“As he missed his first target we were keen to give him a run and it still gives us three weeks until the Victor Chandler.”
Sprinter Sacre’s regular work rider Nico de Boinville gave a very bullish update himself.
“The last two bits of work have just been sensational. Noticeably. The turbo’s back,” he told At The Races.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved