Frankie Dettori can no longer expect to take all the big-race rides as number one jockey to Godolphin, racing manager Simon Crisford has said.
Sheikh Mohammed’s outfit recruited two further top riders this season in Mickael Barzalona, winner of the Derby last year on Pour Moi, and Silvestre de Sousa, runner-up to Paul Hanagan in the jockeys’ title race.
Barzalona will ride Kailani for one of Godolphin’s trainers, Mahmood Al Zarooni, in the Investec Oaks at Epsom on Friday, leaving Dettori without a mount.
Quoted on the Guardian’s website last evening, Crisford said: “Rides will be split across the board.
“They will all get equal opportunities. Frankie has to share the cake and he understands that.
“We brought in two new, young jockeys and it is obviously important to give them opportunities.
“For years Frankie was our only retained jockey. We had other people who would regularly ride for us but it was an informal arrangement. These two jockeys are formally retained.
“I thought we made it reasonably clear at the time that, if any one of them struck up a winning combination with a certain horse, the chances are they are going to stay on that horse. Certainly that’s Frankie’s understanding of the situation.”
Crisford insisted retirement was not on the agenda for Dettori, saying: “He’s got plenty of years left in him.
“I know he’s said publicly that he wants to keep going for at least another five years.”
He added: “It’s working out well at the moment. We are a big stable, a little short on quality just now but quantity is not an issue.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved