John Joe Nevin faces ‘durable’ Mexican after long lay-off

Victor Raul Capacita is being lined up as the opponent for John Joe Nevin’s first fight since last November in New York next Tuesday.

The ex AIBA World No.1 ranked bantam will meet the Mexican, nicknamed Zurdo (southpaw), on the Star of David “Brooklyn Brawl” promotion in MCU Park at Coney Island Nevin’s manager, Philadelphia’s Tom Moran, confirmed that he and Cameron Dunkin, who has handled over 30 world champions, will co-manage the Olympic silver medallist.

“He’s a durable Mexican with a 4-7-3 record. He’s never been stopped. It’s a get back to business fight,” said Moran.

Nevin won on his pro debut in Boston in March, 2014, but his legs were broken in a horrific assault near his Mullingar home a few weeks later.

The 26-year-old returned to the ring to beat Calvin Stifford in North Carolina and Jack Heath in Dublin in October and November last year.

“I haven’t fought since last year so we’re looking forward to getting the rust off and showing what I can do,” said Nevin, who was beaten at two Olympics by the eventual gold medallists.

“I’ve fought all over the world but I’ve always dreamed of boxing in New York. I know there are lots of Irish fans in the area and hopefully we can bring some out.

“The boxing I get in Philly (Philadelphia) gyms is just what you need, working against world class boxers in the summer heat. I can’t wait to get back in the ring.”

Nevin won gold and the Best Boxer Award at the 2013 European Elites. Michael Conlan won European Elite gold at the same award in the same weight class in Bulgaria last Saturday.

Nevin is also being lined up to fight in Philadelphia next month.

Matthew Macklin, meanwhile, will drop down to light-middleweight as he bids to secure the fourth world title shot of his career.

The 33-year-old has not made the 154lb limit since his memorable barnstormer with Jamie Moore back in 2006 and has since challenged for the world belt three times in the division above.

However, the former Irish middleweight champion is ready to shed the pounds in order to face Jason Welborn in Birmingham’s on October 17.

It means an all-Irish clash with Andy Lee, who fights Billy Joe Saunders for the WBO middleweight title a week earlier, now seems further away than ever, with Macklin’s immediate future now a division lighter.

Macklin said: “I may have lost some muscle mass over the years & 154lbs will be comfortable for me to make. I’ll be much stronger there.” Promoter Eddie Hearn had been in talks for Macklin to face Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in the 168lb super middleweight division but both decided he would be too small to take on the Mexican.

So now he has set his sights on the 11st division and will warm up for his fight with Welborn with an eight-round contest in Marbella, Spain on August 28th.


Lifestyle

All eyes are on America for Independence Day - so what happens when the country's borders reopen again? Tom Breathnach gets the lowdownAltered States: What will tourism in the US look like after lockdown?

From days by the seaside to adrenaline-filled days riding rollercoasters, Leinster offers staycationers major bang for their buck.Staycations 2020: Leinster, where Eastern promises are delivered in full

Des O'Sullivan previews the diverse items that will spark interest among collectorsAntiques: From a sword to crystal chandeliers and a dictionary

Kya deLongchamps strikes up the band for some lesser copied American mid-century talentIt's July 4 so let's strike up the band for American designs

More From The Irish Examiner