Dereck Chisora has been forced to withdraw from his European heavyweight title showdown with Tyson Fury in Manchester after fracturing his hand during a sparring session.
The Londoner was set to meet Fury to contest the European belt and the vacant British title on Saturday night but, following the setback, the fight will be rescheduled with a new date to be announced shortly.
In a statement from promoters, Chisora said: “I can’t tell you how disappointed I am to have to pull out of the fight against Fury, but it is on the advice of my specialist that I have to do this.
“I’m sorry for the fans who will get to miss this great fight between me and Tyson this Saturday, but once my hand is healed and I’m given the all-clear to train and punch again, I’ll be working on the new date for the fight.”
The show at Manchester’s Phones 4U Arena will still go ahead with Billy Joe Saunders — who has been sparring with Cork star Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan — now in the main event as he challenges Emanuele Blandamura for the vacant European middleweight title. Chisora, who was keen to avenge his defeat to Fury on a unanimous points decision three years ago, added: “I was in fantastic shape and had a great training camp, probably the best so far in my career, and was looking forward to getting revenge on Fury, but that will have wait.”
Promoter Frank Warren said: “Everybody involved in the fight worked hard to get it on and for this to happen on the final week is a big disappointment to everyone.
“There’s no way that Dereck could fight with his hand fractured and there’s no way I would let him get into the ring and fight with an injury like that.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved