Cricket Ireland have turned down an offer to host an Indian Premier League franchise this summer.
However, Cricket Ireland chief executive Warren Deutrom has told the IPL side that a game could be arranged for 2013.
The unnamed IPL team contacted Irish officials last month to ask to play the Ireland national team this summer, but Cricket Ireland turned down the offer as they would have had to financially underwrite the game.
IPL franchises are keen to promote their brand internationally outside the six-week season in April and May, and the working committee of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has approved a proposal to allow IPL teams play matches in associate and affiliate countries from June to August.
Deutrom told the Irish Examiner that it was simply not viable to schedule a game in Ireland this summer.
“It would have required a significant six-figure investment from Cricket Ireland in terms of fees, accommodation and first-class flights,” he said.
Deutrom says the initial approach from the IPL side was informal, but hopes the subsequent BCCI endorsement of the proposal means that there may be room for financial negotiation.
“I am sure the BCCI are fully aware that associate countries have significantly less resources,” he said. “So if an IPL side are to travel to a country like ours, it would have to be affordable. The previous approach wasn’t.”
Ireland’s playing schedule for next year has yet to be finalised. Deutrom says that they may look into revisiting the proposal in 2013. “If we could programme this a number of months in advance, from 2013 onwards, I think this is something that we would be significantly interested in.”
Ireland host Afghanistan and South Africa ‘A’ this summer, as well as a one-day international against Australia on June 23, and hope to confirm today that Bangladesh will visit to play three ODIs at the end of July.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved