Webber moves on from Silverstone

MARK Webber now wishes he had turned the air blue at Silverstone as it might have avoided red faces all round at Red Bull Racing.

The team’s front-wing controversy dominated the British Grand Prix weekend, one that culminated in Webber claiming a deserved victory, but also sparking a storm.

After taking the chequered flag Webber sniped over the team radio: “Not bad for a number two driver!”

It was a sharp reference to the fact the new front wing on his car had been removed 25 minutes before qualifying and handed to team-mate Sebastian Vettel after his broke in final practice.

As all radio transmissions are screened by the FIA prior to being aired, and only a select handful are given clearance, Webber knows if he had sworn in making his comment it would have been censored.

“I’ve no regrets, but as a sportsman sometimes things happen in the heat of the moment,” said Webber.

“I should have put some colourful language either side of my radio transmission because maybe it would never have got run.

“But obviously I was polite, it did get run, and a few extra people heard what I had to say.”

The air has since been cleared between himself and team principal Christian Horner, who has admitted to a break down in communication with his driver.

“At Silverstone we could have done a better job in communicating with Mark just before qualifying,” confirmed Horner.

“Situations happen up and down the pit lane where decisions have to be made. We spoke about it a lot after the event, and a lot was made of it more than it warranted.

“But as a team we are pushing very hard, pushing to get components to the circuit very aggressively, as are the other front running teams.”

Meanwhile, FIA safety delegate Charlie Whiting has no reason to suspect the inaugural Korean Grand Prix will not take place this season.

Whiting last week made a site inspection of the Korea International Circuit, being developed at a cost of around £200m, examining the facilities and the track.

Despite reassurances from Yung Cho-change, chairman of the Korea Auto Valley Operation (KAYO) that his venue will be ready to host the October 24 race, speculation persists it will be cancelled.

Whiting, however, was more than happy with his visit, although has stated that with 12 weeks to go it is not ready.

Despite that he is convinced the country will become the latest to play host to F1.

Whiting said: “I found the work carried out to date to be to the highest standards and was fully satisfied with the inspection. There is still work to be done, but the circuit should be ready in good time for the first Grand Prix.

“Weekly progress reports will be submitted to the FIA and a further inspection will be carried out in six to seven weeks.”


Lifestyle

Hannah Stephenson has advice on how to care for your garden when wet weather strikesHow to prevent and deal with waterlogging in the garden

The Winter Show, which gets underway in New York this Friday, is a celebration of world cultures, from antiquity to the present.Time travellers are packing their suitcases for New York this week

'We’re far more comfortable talking to our kids about death than we are about sex'Learner Dad: 'The five-year-old can’t wait for our cat to die'

Ireland’s Ancient East provided a range of attractions which sated the appetites of both young and old.One-size-fits-all holiday package to Ireland's Ancient East

More From The Irish Examiner