Tigerish Town prevail in rip-roaring finish

Bishopstown 3-17 Carrigtwohill 4-12 (aet)
The second game in Páirc Uí Chaoimh yesterday was always going to suffer in comparison with the nine-goal thriller that preceded it, but while both Bishopstown and Carrigtwohill were slow to settle, it provided a rip-roaring finish.

Carrig keeper Tom Hogan scored 2-1 to level matters in injury-time, when we saw four more goals being scored before Bishopstown came through as winners.

With his team seven points down, Hogan goaled a close-in free in injury-time and added a penalty a minute later to leave one between them. With the last puck of the game Hogan hit a 65 to tie it up for the second draw of the day.

The finish wasn’t in keeping with the previous 60 minutes. It was wetter and slippier than it had been for the Douglas-Ballymartle curtain-raiser, and both sides struggled early on. After 10 minutes it was just two points apiece, Tomas Murray (free) and Gerard McGlacken’s brace for Town matched by Darren O’Driscoll and Robert White.

Stephen Dineen soloed through to nudge Carrig ahead before another Murray free for the city side tied it up again, and then Brian Murray pushed Bishopstown ahead, and it remained 0-4 to 0-3 on twenty minutes, when White levelled for the east Cork men.

Michael Power restored the Bishopstown lead, and then the city men goaled: Tomas Murray found namesake Brian, who cracked home from an acute angle: 1-5 to 0-4 on 23 minutes, and Patrick Cronin dropped over a point a minute later to stretch their lead further.

White and Tomas Murray swapped points but the first half then petered out with Bishopstown five up, 1-7 to 0-5.

Defender Brian Healy started the second period with a point from his own half to push Town further ahead. The city side then hit two bad wides which might have put more pressure on Carrig, who struck back with a Mickey Fitzgerald point.

Bishopstown still had a six-point advantage on 40 minutes, thanks to another McGlacken point.

Tomas Murray knocked over a free at that point but Stephen Dineen responded in kind for Carrig before Mickey Fitzgerald pointed a long-range free.

From then on, however, there were some minor entanglements — less serious than brawls, but more inclusive than handbags — which broke the rhythm of the game. The next score was always going to be significant, and it fell to Patrick Cronin, who made it 1-11 to 0-8 with seven minutes left.

When the same player added another point a minute later the writing seemed on the wall for Carrig, but then came their keeper’s dramatic one-man show, ending the game on 1-12 to 2-9.

In injury-time Town had a dream start, sub Denis Crowley doubling a Brian Murray delivery to the net. Stephen Dineen and Patrick Cronin (free) swapped points before Brian Murray and Michael Power pushed Bishopstown to a 2-15 to 2-10 lead.

With eight minutes gone, however, Jason Barrett raced through to goal with a fine strike for Carrig; almost on the puck-out Carrig delivered a long ball which Dineen touched home.

Incredibly, we still had time for another score, a Cronin free which levelled matters at 4-10 to 2-16.

That second period began with a Town penalty: Cronin obliged with a goal, but even that wasn’t fatal. Another long-distance Hogan free and Jason Barrett cut the lead to a point, but Carrig then dropped an opportunity wide, and then lost Stephen Kidney to a second yellow card before play resumed.

Tomas Murray promptly cut a sideline straight over the barand a two-point lead was enough.

Bishopstown now face Midleton, with the winners of that tie facing Na Piarsaigh in the county semi-final.

Scorers for Bishopstown: P Cronin 1-6 (1-0 pen, 2f), T Murray 0-5 (3f, 1 sl), B Murray 1-1, D Crowley 1-0, G McGlacken, M Power 0-2 each, B Healy 0-1.

Scorers for Carrigtwohill: T Hogan 2-2 (1-1f, 1-0 pen, 1 65), S Dineen 1-3, J Barrett 1-2, R White 0-3, M Fitzgerald 0-2 (1f).

BISHOPSTOWN: K O’Halloran; D Lester, S O’Neill, C O’Driscoll; K O’Driscoll, M O’Driscoll, B Healy; J Murphy, B Murray; P Cronin, M Power, P Honohan; T Murray, D Hickey, G McGlacken.

Subs: D Crowley for Hickey (58), S Lordan for Honohan (67), B Coffey for J Murphy (70), J O’Sullivan for M O’Driscoll (79).

CARRIGTWOHILL: T Hogan; P O’Sullivan, A Garde, R Power; M O’Riordan, D O’Mahony, J Barrett; C O’Connell, L O’Sullivan; S Dineen, N McCarthy, S Fives; D O’Driscoll, M Fitzgerald, R White.

Subs: N Furlong for L O’Sullivan (ht), J Horgan for Dineen (55), S Dineen for Fitzgerald (58).

Referee: D Copps (Ballyhea).


Seven beauty tricks to update your look for spring

Meet London Fashion Week’s 'pride and joy', Derry-born Jonathan Anderson

Local & fresh: The Currabinny Cooks offer up leek delights

Lindsay Woods: 'I was hinging my transition into functioning, upright, organised, and general pulled-togetherness on the purchase of a dodgy calendar from Tesco'

More From The Irish Examiner