Nemo’s Irish rugby furore ‘all over now’

NEMO RANGERS have expressed satisfaction that the dispute over the use of their Trabeg Sports Centre by the Irish rugby team in February has been resolved.

The GAA have accepted the club’s explanation that they were unaware of the identity of the group making the booking and club secretary Alfie Herbert last night said the matter is now at an end.

Herbert said: “We’re satisfied that it’s all over now. The GAA wrote to us saying they accepted our explanation and as far as we’re concerned the matter has been put to bed. We’re looking forward and we’re finished with it.”

GAA Director General Páraic Duffy stated that they have reminded the club of Rule 5.1, which prohibits GAA grounds apart from Croke Park to be used for field games other than those sanctioned by Central Council.

“Nemo said the booking had been taken in error that morning for the afternoon and they didn’t realise what had happened until the IRFU party arrived at the Trabeg Centre. We accepted that and asked them in future to be aware of what the rules say in these situations.”

Meanwhile GAA President Christy Cooney yesterday turned the sod on the Connacht Council’s new €10m Centre of Excellence at Bekan near Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo. The 65-acre site is set to be transformed into a complex featuring six floodlit outdoor pitches, a state-of-the-art indoor pitch, gymnasium, and related facilities. It will act as a venue for county, club and school teams, and is projected to be completed by 2014.

“This is a hugely significant day in the history of the GAA in Connacht. It will be the first provincial Centre of Excellence in the country, which is a real feather in Connacht’s cap. Money generated by the rental of Croke Park was ring-fenced for projects such as this and I wish everyone involved with this development every success,” said Cooney.

Antrim’s championship preparations have been hit by the withdrawal of attacker Liam Watson from their panel ahead of Sunday week’s Leinster SHC opener against Offaly in Parnell Park. Watson has withdrawn from the squad because of personal commitments and informed county senior hurling management of his decision on Thursday.

Munster Council chiefs have rescheduled the upcoming provincial minor hurling semi-finals to accommodate players from competing teams who have Leaving Certificate examinations. Limerick host Clare in the Gaelic Grounds on Friday, June 25 at 7.30pm, with Cork playing Waterford in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Saturday, June 26 at 7.30pm.

A public sale of tickets ahead of Sunday week’s Munster SHC quarter-final between Cork and Tipperary will take place in Páirc Uí Rinn next Monday evening from 6-8pm. A limited supply of stand tickets will be available.



Breaking Stories

Dundalk call the tune again

Chesters still leads as rain wreaking havoc in Spain

Gloucester boss says team’s heartbeat Cipriani best attacking 10 in England

O’Mahony believes Munster are ready to click

Breaking Stories

A tempting taste of what is on offer in Dingle

Too much information? Lindsay Woods on 'sharenting'

Graham Norton: ‘If it was hard work I couldn’t do it’

Saying yes to the dress: Behind the scenes at the royal wedding

More From The Irish Examiner