Dan Shanahan has claimed his brother Maurice was jeered by the Clare bench as he took his last-gasp free to force a replay.
The Waterford selector’s younger sibling succeeded in converting the placed ball from close to the Kinane Stand sideline but it wasn’t without intimidation, he claimed.
“Again, I think Maurice deserves respect; it took a lot of liathróidí to put the ball over the bar. A lot of heckles. He got a lot of heckling now, to be honest with you.
“I’m talking from the Clare bench now, lads. From the crowd and stuff like that. That’s just the way it is, I suppose. That’s sport.”
When asked to confirm it came from the direction of the Clare area of the sideline, Shanahan said: “I’ll leave it up to ye to imagine that. I think a draw was a fair result.”
Like Davy Fitzgerald and Derek McGrath, Shanahan played down the first-half incident when the trio and Dónal Óg Cusack became embroiled in a heated stand-off.
“Ah, look, that’s handbags stuff, lads. Only handbags stuff. These things happen. You’ve two benches and they’re going to back up with you. Davy’s going to back up Clare and we’re obviously going to back up our young fellas.”
Meanwhile, there will be no International Rules series this year after the AFL and GAA agreed to defer the competition until next year, where two tests will be played in Australia.
The organisations have also committed to a further two-games series in Ireland.
It had been left in the AFL’s hands to look into the feasibility of staging one or two tests in the US this autumn. However, they had no success and instead the concept game will return to Australia in 2017, having last been played there in 2014.
That said, the pair are looking into the adaptation of the game for an exhibition series Stateside in the future, likely to be a 12 or 13-man game.
“It was not possible to organise a two-game series in Australia this year and for that reason, we have decided to take a long-term view of the series and press pause for 2016,” stated GAA president, Aogán Ó Fearghail.
“The success of the last two series has been based on the ability of both teams to attract the finest talent to their ranks making for close, competitive, and entertaining games. The aim of the series continuing in this vein is shared by both organisations and we believe these aspirations are best served by the staging of two games in a given year.
“We have committed to three series for the moment, beginning in Australia in 2017 with the timing for the Irish and US events to be confirmed later in the year as to whether they should take place in consecutive years, every second year or some other combination. We look forward to working with the AFL in the planning of future series.”
Meanwhile, Hawk-Eye score detection technology will first come into operation at Semple Stadium when Tipperary and Cork face off in their Munster SHC quarter-final on May 22.
Elsewhere, former Galway hurling manager Anthony Cunningham has joined Mick Lillis’s backroom team in Laois as coach. Cunningham guided Westmeath’s Garrycastle to an All-Ireland final in 2012 and St Brigids of Roscommon to a Connacht title in 2006.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved