Impressive Limerick overpower Wexford to maintain top spot in Division One

Limerick remain top of the Division One Group One table with a comprehensive 12-point victory over Wexford in Bruff yesterday.

Niamh Mulcahy was the star of the show with 15 points, seven of which came from play. The hosts led by nine points at the interval and despite Áine Leacy’s second-half goal, there was no stopping a rampant Limerick.

Caoimhe Costello, Aoife Wilson and Rebecca Delee all joined the devastating Mulcahy on the scoreboard as they romped to a 0-19 to 1-4 victory.

Galway picked up their first win of the season with a five-point victory away to Tipperary. The sides were level four times in the opening half and were all square (0-6 apiece) at the break. It remained close in the opening minutes of the second half until Laura Mitchell pounced for the all-important goal 12 minutes from time.

That put Galway four points clear and although Cáit Devane struck back for Tipperary with a point, Galway were able to hang on. Niamh Kilkenny and Mitchell hit the final scores of the game to leave the Connacht side enjoying a 1-11 to 0-9 win.

In Parnell Park, Dublin suffered their first defeat of the season when they went down to the All-Ireland champions Cork (1-13 to 1-8).

The Metropolitans led 0-6 to 0-4 lead at half-time but were rocked two minutes into the second half when Katrina Mackey finished an Orla Cotter free to the net.

Dublin hit back almost immediately though with a goal from Siobhan Kehoe who nipped in to raise a green flag from an Ali Twomey free.

The game was nip and tuck thereafter and with 15 minutes left, the sides were locked together, 1-8 apiece. Cork’s experience began to tell though in the final quarter and points from Briege Corkery, Mackey, Cotter, Julia White and Cotter yet again ensured that the Rebels remain on course for a place in the semi-finals.

Kilkenny proved far too strong for Derry as the Cats picked up their first win of the campaign by 4-17 to 0-9 in Castlecomer.

Karen Kielt, who finished with all of Derry’s scores on the day, opened the scoring for the Oak Leaf county with a point from play but once Denise Gaule found the back of the net for Kilkenny’s first green flag, the home side took control and by the interval they held a 1-8 to 0-3 advantage.

Edel Maher hit the second goal in the 40th minute while Aoife Neary struck for a third goal seven minutes later. Gaule added a fourth with a cracking long-range strike to put the result beyond doubt.


Meet Tony the Turtle.How to explain Covid-19 to kids on the spectrum

More From The Irish Examiner