DRA decision throws Galway SHC into turmoil

Matthew Keating

The Galway senior hurling championship has been thrown into chaos following the decision of the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) to quash the Galway CCC’s ruling dumping Turloughmore out of the competition.

The quarter final-fixture between Ardrahan and Beagh was postponed on Sunday and fear is now growing that the championship will be delayed until well into November.

The DRA have ordered Galway top brass to establish a new investigation committee to examine the composition of the Turloughmore team that overcame Beagh by 1-19 to 0-16 in a deciding group game on September 14. Beagh lodged a complaint to the Galway CCC following the fixture, questioning the eligibility of Turloughmore player Matthew Keating.

The former All-Ireland winning minor hurler lined out for Long Island Gaels in the US during the summer. A stipulation of the transfer granted to Keating is that you can’t play in two championships in the one year.

Turloughmore have continued to train despite the initial decision of the Galway CCC two weeks ago and club officials are now confident they will be reinstated to the championship.

The expected scenario is that Turloughmore and Beagh will be asked to replay their group fixture, the winners meeting Ardrahan in the quarter-final.

Gort advanced to the semi-finals on September 28 and it could now be another three weeks before their opponents are known. Portumna advanced to the decider at the weekend and face a similarly long wait.

“Turloughmore welcomes the decision of the Disputes Resolution Authority and looks forward to engaging with the reconstituted Galway CCC,” said a statement released by the club.

Meanwhile, Roscommon club Padraig Pearses have lodged an appeal with the Connacht Council over the result of their controversial county senior football semi-final defeat to St Faithleach’s on Saturday week last.

The Connacht Council hearings committee will meet tomorrow night to discuss the appeal.

Pearses were beaten by 0-9 to 1-5 by St Faithleach’s, with referee Michael Brehony escorted off the field amid heated scenes at the final whistle following his decision to disallow Niall Daly’s late ‘levelling’ point.


Has KRIB sounded the death knell for the immersion?

Bake: Delicious recipes with chocolate - the ultimate dessert ingredient

Trend of the week: How to simmer in a boiler suit

Ask an expert: Is my IVF child more likely to have behaviour problems?

More From The Irish Examiner