Clare chairman Joe Cooney says the GAA’s decision not to reduce ticket prices for Sunday’s Division 1 final replay with Waterford is “disappointing”.
Unlike their policy for most championship games, the GAA have decided admission to Semple Stadium this weekend will the same as it was for the drawn match last Sunday, which was preceded by the Division 1 camogie final.
Stand tickets purchased before match-day remain at €25 with entry for children aged under 16 staying at €5.
“It’s disappointing to see the ticket prices are the same because a lot of people here have been giving out about the cost.
“I would have hoped they would be looked at. If they were reduced we would get a better crowd, I’m sure of that.
“It is a replay and it definitely should have been looked at.
“We all know times are tough at the moment and the cost of living is expensive.
“Bringing three or four people from the same household to a game would be fairly expensive but people would also appreciate seeing a reduction and it would encourage more people to go as well.”
Clare secretary Pat Fitzgerald admitted he thought the ticket prices would be reduced for Sunday’s Division 1 final replay.
“I thought there might be a reduction — there was when we played in the All-Ireland final replay three years ago. That was just my initial reaction, that they might take something off it.”
Waterford chairman Paddy Joe Ryan reacted: “Naturally, we’ll like to see cheaper prices but we have to accept what’s been decided.
“We have to abide by the decision made by Central Council. The GAA have been very fair with ticket prices all through the league.”
Along with it being a replay and the counties facing off again in a Munster semi-final on June 5, the call to retain the same prices will quite probably have a negative impact on the attendance this Sunday.
Waterford yesterday took the expected decision to postpone the first round of their hurling championships, which had been scheduled to take place this weekend.
The second round will go ahead as planned the following weekend although there is not date yet set for the postponed fixtures.
Clare’s John Conlon could be out for up to 10 weeks with torn ankle ligaments, which forced him out of last Sunday’s clash with Waterford.
Meanwhile, Laois forward Donie Kingston has criticised the “bias” that has allowed Dublin take championship residence in Croke Park for the last decade and has claimed that use of the GAA’s flagship stadium should be pared back for only the biggest of games.
Dublin will play their first championship game outside the capital venue in 10 years at the start of June when they meet the winners of Laois and Wicklow in the unlikely surrounds of Nowlan Park in Kilkenny and Kingston says it should be just the start of their summer travels.
“It makes a massive difference,” said Kingston.
“They are just so used to playing there. They know the dimensions of the field so well.
“Croke Park is different to any other field in the country. It’s second nature to them so it is a big thing to get them out of Croke Park.
“It should have been done before this year.”
A crowd of 33,544 watched Dublin dismantle Longford in Croke Park in the Leinster quarter-final last year, but that was half of a double bill with the hurlers of Dublin and Galway.
The capacity in Kilkenny stands at 25,000, but it remains to be seen if the Dubs become regular road users.
“You would never know with the GAA,” said Kingston who was part of a Laois side beaten by Dublin by 11 points in HQ two years ago.
“If they see the fact that revenues are down or something like that that might make them take that action and bring them back to Croke Park.
“You just don’t know, but you would hope that they would keep it out of Croke Park because it is not fair.
“It’s a bias towards one county and the other counties just have to put up with it. It’s not fair.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved