Champions Kilmallock keep run going with win over Effin

Champions Kilmallock remain unbeaten in their Limerick SHC title defence.

Last evening they were emphatic 0-25 to 0-7 winners over Effin in Kilfinane.

Ger O’Loughlin’s side were 0-10 to 0-3 up at half time. They have now advanced to the knockout stages ahead of the final round of group games.

Also into the later stages are Na Piarsaigh and Patrickswell.

Na Piarsaigh were 6-17 to 2-5 winners over Bruff. The 2013 champions were 5-5 to 2-5 up at half time with two goals each for Kevin Downes and David Dempsey and one for Peter Casey.

Bruff had goals from John Cooke and Tony Burke but there were not to score in the second half as Na Piarsiagh eased to the win.

Patrickswell maintained their winning run with a 0-17 to 0-9 win over South Liberties in the Gaelic Grounds.

Ciaran Carey’s side were 0-9 to 0-6 ahead at half time after an opening 30 minutes that saw Jack Kelleher hit three points from play and another three from frees.

South Liberties relied heavily on Brian Ryan frees and only had David O’Neill, David Garry and Shane O’Neill scores from play in the entire game. Patrickswell ensured a fourth successive victory in the second-half with points from Limerick’s Munster U21 winning captain Diarmaid Byrnes, Lar Considine and Peter Harty.

In the second of a Gaelic Grounds double-bill, Adare got their first win of the season with a 2-15 to 1-15 victory over Doon.

Doon were 1-10 to 1-6 up at half time with Mike Fitzgerald getting their goal and John Fitzgibbon hitting the net for Adare.

Doon were 1-12 to 1-6 clear early in the second-half but then failed to score for 15 minutes as Adare hit seven successive scores, including a Willie Griffin goal to move them 2-12 to 1-12 clear.

Three late points from Declan Hannon ensured their first win, after three successive draws.

Murroe-Boher got their first win when a late Paudie McNamara goal helped them to a 1-13 to 1-11 win over Ahane in Caherconlish.

A Tom Morrissey goal had Ahane 1-9 to 0-6 up at half time.

Free-takers Mike Carr and Seanie Tobin exchanged scores throughout but Murroe-Boher had Pat Tobin and Diarmuid Byrnes on the mark to help them to a vital victory.

The weekend’s schedule opened with a 2-18 to 1-12 win for Ballybrown over Croom in Croagh.

Ballybrown were 1-8 to 0-7 up at the interval with Alan O’Connor getting their goal.

A second half goal from Shane Kenny ensured no fight back for Croom, who had a goal of their own from Conor Laffan.

More on this topic

Ciarán Carey: There are no bank holidays for addictionsCiarán Carey: There are no bank holidays for addictions

GAA announce re-fixtures for Storm Dennis-affected league tiesGAA announce re-fixtures for Storm Dennis-affected league ties

John Kiely: Ending maor foirne role 'a daft notion'John Kiely: Ending maor foirne role 'a daft notion'

John Kiely confirms injury to keep Richie English out for seasonJohn Kiely confirms injury to keep Richie English out for season


It is the fourth of May, 2007. I am coming home from work, tired and scrolling through images of Trapani, Sicily - our holiday destination in a few weeks. Nothing remarkable about the journey, until I read the story of a missing girl in Praia De Luz, Portugal.Learning Points: Give Madeleine McCann's family the space to put their lives back together

More From The Irish Examiner