GALWAY GAA chiefs last night upped the ante in the row over the venue for the All-Ireland U21 hurling final by demanding an immediate meeting with president Christy Cooney and director general Páraic Duffy.
Galway are angry that their U21 All-Ireland final meeting remains fixed for Semple Stadium on Saturday week and while they are not threatening militant action such as boycotting the match, they are adamant that the game should be moved to a neutral venue.
Galway Hurling Board chairman Joe Byrne said they were demanding the meeting because they felt they were not being listened to.
“We are not going to let this go. We made representations straight after the semi-final. We wrote to the management committee on Tuesday and have not heard anything. At this stage Galway want a meeting with Christy Cooney and Páraic Duffy and we want to discuss this with them. Time is running out but there is still time to move this game to a neutral venue.
“There have been incidents this year such as Meath’s win over Louth and the goal Down got against Kildare last week where the GAA was powerless to do anything about the injustices. There was no form of redress. But this is different; there is a way to prevent something unfair happening.
“We are very unhappy with the way this has been handled and we want to meet the president and director general and get them to help sort it out.
Meanwhile, Galway manager John McIntyre is set to be re-appointed for another two years after his annual report received a positive response from club delegates on Tuesday night and he confirmed his interest in staying in charge.
“The current management have indicated a desire to stay on and build on the work carried out over the past two years but it is up to Galway Hurling Board and the delegates to make that decision,” said McIntyre.
But McIntyre’s re-appointment seems a formality at the next meeting in two weeks time. McIntyre presented a detailed report to delegates and outlined that silverware had been won with the Walsh Cup and National League titles.
“There was a very positive reaction to his report and I am confident John McIntyre and his management team will be re-appointed in two weeks,” said Galway Hurling Board chairman Joe Byrne.
It is proposed that McIntyre will be appointed for a further two seasons but unlike his first term, the position will come up for review at the end of the first year.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved