Owen Mulligan says he’ll have to ring Tyrone boss Mickey Harte this week to discover if his county career really is over.
Mulligan was among a dozen players axed by Harte ahead of January’s McKenna Cup campaign. But the 31-year old revealed that he hasn’t heard anything from Harte himself and wants clarification.
Ironically, Harte looked on from the main stand at Armagh’s Athletic Grounds on Sunday as Mulligan captained Cookstown to the Ulster Club IFC title.
“I haven’t been talking to Mickey Harte at all,” said Mulligan. “I haven’t been in contact with him. He’s not the sort of fella I would ring to go for a pint with, to be honest.
“I don’t know if I’m dropped. We’ll see what the craic is. I’ll give him a call, midweek I think.
“I honestly hadn’t thought about the Tyrone situation. I was taking Cookstown into consideration first. At the end of the day, Cookstown got me here, got me playing for the county as well. So I had to give them all my focus.
“All last week I got tortured by journalists looking to know a story.”
Mulligan has been with Harte through Tyrone’s three All-Ireland triumphs since 2003. He described his long time Errigal Ciaran mentor as a ‘great man’ but didn’t pull any punches when asked if he believes Harte made the right decision in clearing out long serving players like John Devine, Davy Harte, Damien McCaul, Sean O’Neill and Brian McGuigan are all established stars to have been omitted from the Tyrone panel.
“I don’t know if the door is closed totally. I know it’s a McKenna Cup squad.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved