Paul McCarthy was appointed as the new Cork junior football manager at last night’s county board meeting in Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
Following the resignation of Niall Kelleher for personal reasons, Kinsale man McCarthy was promoted from selector. Newmarket manager and double All-Ireland-winner Danny Culloty takes McCarthy’s old role.
Prior to this season, McCarthy, a former Carrigdhoun division juvenile chairman, had been a selector for three years, during which time Cork won two All-Irelands, under Kelleher last year and his predecessor Mossie Barrett in 2009.
McCarthy is also involved with the Cork U16 football side.
Cork have a bye into the semi-finals of this year’s Munster JFC and will have home advantage in the semi-final on June 10 against the winners of the Kerry-Tipperary quarter-final.
Meanwhile in the draw for the fourth round of the divisions and colleges section of the County SFC, Avondhu will meet Beara while Duhallow clash with Carbery, who beat Cork IT last night. Carbery play CIT or Imokilly in the hurling, while UCC were paired with Avondhu.
The SFC first-round replay between Nemo Rangers and Bishopstown, who drew after extra time on Monday, will be played on Saturday at 7.30pm in Páirc Uí Rinn.
Central Council delegate Des Cullinane also revealed that at its most recent meeting, it was decided to re-introduce match-bans on a trial basis in 2013, while new GAA President Liam O’Neill was asked to establish a committee to look at the viability of the interprovincial championships.
Former board chairman Mick Dolan, while acknowledging that it was late for this year’s championship, lamented the 60-day sanction on players who have played abroad temporarily, and pointed out that UCC won last year’s county championship with players who were also playing for home clubs in different counties.
“The sanction will remain a problem while the country stays in recession,” Dolan said, “and the salmon-sandwich socialists won’t change anything if they get in, it will be like this for a few years and Cumann Lúthchleas Gael must look at it.”
In response, chairman Bob Ryan said that the sanction had been in place for a while and any change had to come from clubs.
Mr Ryan also congratulated board members, Frank Murphy, Tracey Kennedy, Liam Ó Laochdha, Marc Sheehan and Des Cullinane on roles they had been appointed to by the new GAA President.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved