Hurley expects to be fit for league opener against Dublin

Brian Hurley in action last year.

Brian Hurley expects to be fit for Cork’s Division 1 opener against Dublin on February 1 after being told he suffered no serious damage to his left shoulder on Sunday.

The Castlehaven forward was forced to leave the field in the first half after damaging the shoulder in the McGrath Cup quarter-final win over Tipperary.

However, scan results yesterday showed he incurred a soft tissue injury and will be out for just two weeks.

“Nothing is broken, which is the main thing,” said Hurley. It’s a case of two weeks of no contact.”

Meanwhile, Kildare’s Tommy Moolick has been ruled out for six to eight weeks after damaging medial ligaments while playing for UCD against his native county on Sunday.

There had been speculation he may have ruptured his cruciate but the midfielder will be back for the latter half of the Lilywhite’s Division 2 campaign, although he misses out on the Sigerson Cup.

Kildare’s Jason Ryan criticised the use of Moolick by UCD, saying he shouldn’t have played every minute of the college’s previous two O’Byrne Cup games. He apologised to UCD boss John Divilly later that day.

Meanwhile, Galway hurling manager Anthony Cunningham will be without three key players for the opening rounds of the national league. Midfielder David Burke and forwards Cyril Donnellan and Niall Healy are recovering from surgery and will not return to action for two more months.

Healy underwent cruciate surgery, while Burke had a hip operation and Donnellan had a procedure to resolve a troublesome groin problem.

Cunningham, whose side open their 2015 season against Westmeath in the Walsh Cup in Mullingar next Sunday, said all three were recovering.

They will miss the opening league games at home to Clare and away to Tipperary and could be coming back into contention for the clash against All-Ireland champions Kilkenny at Pearse Stadium on March 8.

Denis Walsh has been appointed manager of Waterford champions Ballygunner for the 2015 campaign. The former Cork boss succeeds Fergal Hartley and will be joined by selectors Darragh O’Sullivan and Gary O’Keeffe.

Hartley moved aside from the role due to family and work commitments after just one season as bainsteoir.


Lifestyle

Kya deLongchamps meets the man who is opening a new chapter on his native FermoyVintage View: Opening a new chapter on Fermoy's story

More From The Irish Examiner