Thousands of irate Cork and Limerick hurling supporters were left empty-handed yesterday morning as technical issues played havoc with the sale of tickets for Sunday’s Munster decider at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.
1,500 terrace tickets for the Blackrock and City Ends were made available for purchase via tickets.ie and selected Centra and SuperValu stores at 9am, a further 1,500 coming on stream following the decision by Munster Council to increase the capacity of Páirc Uí Chaoimh from 32,168 to 36,646.
Technical issues concerning tickets.ie, however, prevented supporters from purchasing tickets both in person and online.
Hurling enthusiasts who had queued outside their local Centra and SuperValu stores from as early as 6am were turned away as a systems failure left many retail outlets ticketless.
Technical problems continued throughout the morning and it wasn’t until shortly before 1pm that supporters were able to purchase tickets online. The 3,000 terrace tickets had been snapped up by 2.30pm.
Limerick PRO Eamonn Phelan said there was “pandemonium” in several shops across the county as people grew frustrated by the delay.
A Páirc Uí Chaoimh official said the stadium had been inundated with calls from furious supporters.
The Munster Council and tickets.ie last night apologised for the inconvenience caused to patrons.
“We encountered a technical problem that took some time to resolve. Once the work was completed all tickets available to us to sell were placed on sale,” read the tickets.ie statement.
The Musgrave Group, meanwhile, apportioned blame at the doorstep of the provincial council.
“The Munster council only made a very limited allocation of tickets available for public sale. We were advised by the GAA that the tickets would be available for sale from 9am, but this was delayed due to technical difficulties with the GAA’s ticketing provider (tickets.ie).
“When tickets went on sale, the level of demand outstripped supply due to the limited allocation and tickets quickly sold out,” said the statement released on behalf of Centra and Super Valu.
Limerick officials maintain thousands of people will still be denied the opportunity to attend the provincial decider despite the increase in capacity of the Ballintemple venue by almost 4,500.
It is understood both Cork and Limerick have been furnished with 1,500 extra tickets stemming from the decision of provincial top brass.
According to their statement it was approved “following completion of works at the ground, undertakings to complete further works before Sunday, a review of last Sunday’s operations at the Munster football final and consideration of all relevant factors with a particular emphasis on health and safety requirements.”
“It won’t be enough,” continued Phelan. “There will still be people who won’t be able to go. Munster hurling final fever has gripped everyone in Limerick.”
“Most clubs in Limerick would have lists of names of people who missed out in the initial allocation. They will be first in line for this second allocation of tickets.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved