Coughlan seals Kinsale’s passage

Kinsale 1-11 Ballyclough 0-08
KINSALE got their Evening Echo IFC off to a flying start as they defeated Ballyclough by six points at a gusty Blarney yesterday afternoon.

This was a repeat of last year’s first round clash, where Ballyclough triumphed 1-11 to 0-9, but they missed the indubitable force of Colm O’Neill on this outing and Kinsale were deserved winners.

After losing their opening two games last year, they won’t have any relegation worries, though the bulk of the play wasn’t pretty.

With the stiff breeze in their favour, Kinsale started strongly but after dominating the opening ten minutes, could only put two points on the board and the hit five wides.

Danny O’Callaghan and Brian Coughlan popped up with those scores in the fourth and sixth minutes respectively, and it wasn’t until the 24th minute that another flag was raised, Ballyclough’s Paul O’Flynn kicking a difficult 45.

Kinsale continued to create more chances but their execution throughout the opening period was below par and it allowed the north Cork side an opportunity to move ahead for the first time.

Teddy O’Shea kicked the equalising point before Sean Smith curled a sumptuous effort between the posts to make it 0-3 to 0-2.

The game livened up considerably in the five minutes preceding the break and Kinsale skipper O’Callaghan levelled with a sweet strike. There was still time for Ballyclough to fashion two more attacks, with David Ahern and Smith converting to make it 0-5 to 0-3 at half-time.

Kinsale’s conversion rate certainly improved in the second-half while Ballyclough’s forwards struggled.The north Cork team were restricted to just three more scores for the match, while at the other end they faced a barrage.

The defining moment came on 47 minutes when Brian Coughlan fisted to Niall Stanley and he netted from a tight angle to make it 1-6 to 0-6. That gave Kinsale further impetus to go forward and they outscored Bally 0-4 to 0-1 in the final quarter.

Coughlan struck a couple of delightful frees, while Richard O’Sullivan also pointed. Ballyclough could only respond through O’Shea, whose goalward effort was tipped over the bar by Cian Quigley on the line.

Scorers for Kinsale: B Coughlan 0-6 (3f), N Stanley 1-0, D O’Callaghan 0-2, R O’Sullivan, D Coughlan, J Gould 0-1 each.

Scorers for Ballyclough: T O’Shea 0-3, P O’Flynn (0-1 45, 0-1f), S Smith 0-2 each, D Ahern 0-1.

KINSALE: C Hackett; M O’Sullivan, J Keohane, W O’Hea; N McCarthy, R O’Sullivan, D Ward; D O’Callaghan, D Coughlan; C Quigley, B Coughlan, N Stanley; J Gould, C O’Sullivan, A Gould.

Subs: M Coughlan for O’Hea (42), D Murphy for O’Sullivan (57).

BALLYCLOUGH: A O’Shea; E Crowley, T O’Flynn, D MacDermott; S Walsh, P O’Flnn, D O’Connell; J Ahern, J O’Shea; T O’Neill, D Ahern, D Herlihy; S Smith, T O’Shea, M Heffernan.

Sub: M Fitzpatrick for O’Connell (56).

Referee: B Coniry (Crosshaven).


A major new drama from David Simon of The Wire, and the concluding episode of I May Destroy You.Tuesday's TV highlights: The Plot Against America, classic soccer and more

More From The Irish Examiner