THE CORK County Convention is in danger of being postponed because the Cork County Board has not notified clubs of their appeal options regarding motions for debate.
As of close of business yesterday one club in particular had not been notified of an appeals procedure regarding their motion.
Last week they were informed by the Cork County Board that their motion would not be on the clár for the convention, but as of yesterday, despite a request from them to the county board, they had neither received any further legal details on the reasons for the rejection, nor any information on their appeal options.
Two other motions have been rejected by the board and the sponsoring clubs were only informed on Monday. At the time of going to press, those clubs were also understood to be writing to the board asking for detailed reasons for the rejection of their motions and, again, to be given details of their appeals options.
When re-submitting their motions, each club is understood to have enclosed independent legal opinion setting out precise disagreements with the decision of the Motions Committee. The clubs are frustrated and annoyed that when rejecting their motions the board did not address the points raised in the legal opinion.
If it transpires that these appeals have to go to the Munster Council, and the clubs opted for that route, this would almost certainly hold up the convention, which is scheduled for Saturday.
There is dissatisfaction among the clubs that the motions were only received in the week of convention, giving little time to arrange full club meetings to consider the motions. The submission date for motions was November 9. Club officials find it difficult to understand why it has taken almost a month to respond to and distribute the motions. There is every likelihood the issue will get a strong airing at Saturday’s convention, should it go ahead as planned.
Meanwhile a top GAA official has claimed Croke Park-imposed bans on collective training are being ignored.
Wexford County secretary, Margaret Doyle, in her annual report to convention, says that the county’s poor performance in this year’s under-21 hurling championship should be viewed within the constraints enforced on their preparation.
Dublin hammered Wexford by 1-24 to 0-8, a result that sent shockwaves through the county. But Doyle said while Wexford obeyed a regulation not to train prior to May, they had anecdotal evidence that other counties chose to ignore that restriction.
“There was a ruling from Croke Park stating that U21 hurling teams could not commence training until May and we adhered to that ruling. Failure to do so, we were told, would result in our funding being reduced.
“Many of these players are in college together and news of activities in other counties travelled through the system. I must stress the selectors and players did their best but were completely outclassed on the night,” said Doyle, who also said that she believed that the close season of November/December was also being ignored by counties.
“A lot has been said about teams training in November/December last year and if the performance and fitness level of some teams early in the year were measured we certainly witnessed anomalies,” claimed Doyle.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved