KERRY boss Jack O’Connor believes Paul Galvin is being judged on his reputation after last year’s Footballer of the Year was sent-off again in the All-Ireland champions’ defeat against Cork in a tempestuous clash at Páirc Ui Rinn on Saturday night.
Galvin faces at least a month on the sidelines after being dismissed in the 21st minute of a stormy first-half after an off-the-ball incident involving Cork defender Eoin Cadogan. Galvin and Cadogan grappled on the ground and after consulting with his linesmen, Laois referee Maurice Deegan showed red cards to both players. However, television pictures suggested both had been harshly dismissed.
Two minutes previously Cork defender Noel Galvin was dismissed after picking up a second yellow card for a high tackle on Kieran Donaghy. There were several other first-half flashpoints and after the precedent set with the spate of suspensions from last week’s Tyrone-Derry clash, there could be further Cork and Kerry players punished if the CCCC examines the video footage of this game.
Kerry officials are likely to appeal Galvin’s red card, but if unsuccessful the Kerry player’s suspension could be multiplied as it is his second red card within a 48-week period after the dismissal in last June’s Munster SFC semi-final at Páirc Uí Chaoimh. He will definitely miss the Kingdom’s next league encounter against Derry on March 7 and his manager believes the Finuge man is paying for past sins.
“If you give a fella a bad name, it follows him,” said O’Connor. “I’d need to watch that on the monitor, but by all accounts he didn’t do much. We were saying to the players before the game, what with the controversy last week with the four guys up north getting suspended, that players were going to be watched now.”
Cork manager Conor Counihan will have to plan without Cadogan for the tie against Galway on March 6, but the Douglas player will be free to line out for the county’s senior hurlers against Offaly and Limerick in the next two weeks – presuming he isn’t reported for anything that carries a longer suspension.
Counihan said he didn’t see the incidents that led to the sending-offs.
“Things happen quickly so I’d like to look at it on video again. Noel got the first yellow and then the second one, he pulls your man back. The first I saw of the other sending-offs was the two of them rolling on the ground. It’s not easy for referees.”
The experimental handpass rule came in for further criticism with Deegan’s decisions to blow up both teams for fouling the ball annoying both players and supporters. “It’s very frustrating for everybody”, stated O’Connor. “For the supporters, for the players and for everybody. I just can’t see the point of it. The powers that be need to look at it, as I can’t see that it’s working at the moment.”
“We all need time to sit back and reflect is that positive for the game overall”,remarked Counihan.
Meanwhile the GAA’s Central Council has approved funding for a number of player welfare projects to be rolled out in association with the GPA in the coming months. Further information will be announced at a formal launch of the funded projects next month.
It was also confirmed that 2011 Congress will be hosted by Westmeath.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved