FORMER Meath All-Ireland winning boss Sean Boylan last night ruled out a return to inter-county management with Armagh.
Boylan was the preferred choice of the Orchard County squad to replace Peter McDonnell, but the Dunboyne native will not be allowing his name to go forward for the post.
Boylan said: “It’s the first I heard of it, but it isn’t something I’d consider. Armagh is a great football county and it’s very flattering to be talked about in connection with the job. But a position like that is almost a full-time job these days and I simply haven’t time to commit to it.”
Clubs may now be asked to re-nominate candidates and a new sub-committee created to find McDonnell’s successor.
Meanwhile, GAA chiefs in Cavan have taken a hard line stance against indisciplinetowards their referees, proposing bans of 84 weeks in total and €4,000 in fines at their September meeting. Gowna have been suspended from playing matches in Division One of the All County Football League for 12 weeks and fined €2,000 following alleged abuse directed at referee Ollie Donohoe after their SFC quarter-final defeat by Killygarry.
Meanwhile, Cavan Gaels have been hit with similar bans as a result of incidents after their JFC defeat by Butlersbridge last Sunday, with their Division Two side also suspended from the ACFL for 12 weeks.
Seven individuals from each club were suspended in all, including 2009 Cavan senior panellist Dermot McCabe (four weeks) and county U21 player Conor McClarey (four weeks). The heaviest suspension was on Gaels goalkeeper Niall O’Riordan, who has been handed a 12-week ban while the club were fined €2000.
Elsewhere Pete McGrath says he is “devastated, saddened and hurt” by the way he was treated by the Down County Board regarding the vacant post of county football manager.
The double All-Ireland winning senior boss had made no secret of his desire to succeed Ross Carr at the Mourne County. But instead Down bosses announced the reins had been handed over to former star player James McCartan. “To say that I’m bitterly disappointed the way I was treated by the Down board would be understatement. I’m devastated, saddened and hurt by what’s happened over the last four to five days.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved