Boost for Tribe as Meehan shines

Galway football manager Alan Mulholland received another boost as both Padraic Joyce and Michael Meehan showed great form and kicked their clubs into the third round of the county SFC.

The two forwards, who were only introduced as subs in the Connacht SFC quarter-final win over Roscommon, continued their return to full fitness with great displays for their clubs at the weekend and will be pushing for starting places against Sligo on Saturday week.

Joyce hit 1-5 to send Killererin past the challenge of Caherlistrane, while Meehan played a full 60 minutes and kicked four points for Caltra in their win over Claregalway.

Joyce hit the net in the opening half as Killererin held a 1-4 to 0-2 lead at the break, but a goal from Eric Monaghan in the second-half meant Killererin needed all of Joyce’s nous to make the next round, eventually sealing a 1-9 to 1-7 win.

Meehan continued his comeback from injury and was central to Caltra’s 1-13 to 0-8 win over Claregalway at Tuam Stadium.

The key goal arrived five minutes from the break when Shane Hogan rattled the net with a penalty, but the fine form of Meehan will please the 2004 All-Ireland club champions most.

Defending champions Corofin, who are targeting a third title in four years, had very little trouble getting past last year’s runners up Tuam Stars, eventually pulling away to a 0-14 to 1-6 victory.

Jamie Murphy’s first-half goal saw the Stars trail by just a point at the break, but with Daithí Burke to the fore, Corofin easily finished the job with a super second-half display.

The star of Galway’s Connacht championship win over Roscommon was at it again as Paul Conroy kicked four points in St James’ 2-14 to 0-7 win over Killanin .

A goal from Alan O’Donnell helped the city side to a 1-9 to 0-2 lead at the break and once Tommy Walsh netted St James’ second goal it was all over for Killanin.

Last year’s intermediate champions, Kilconly, picked up their first ever senior championship victory with a 1-12 to 0-10 win over Naomh Anna-Leitir Mor at Pearse Stadium.

Just two points separated the sides at the break, but Adrian Murphy found the net for Kilconly just three minutes after the restart which saw the North Galway side into the third round.

A goal in each half from Sean and Mark Hehir proved the difference as Milltown claimed a 2-7 to 0-9 win over Moycullen at Corofin yesterday.

A late comeback from Moycullen failed to halt last year’s semi-finalists as they take their place in the last 16.

Seán Ó Domhnaill’s Micheal Breathnach’s came out on top on a scoreline of 1-11 to 0-10 as Shane Walsh’s eight-point tally failed to rescue Kilkerrin/Clonberne.

A goal on the cusp of half-time from Peadar Ó Coinne gave the Gaeltacht men a seven-point lead at the break and they just managed to hold on for the win after Walsh’s heroics.

Elsewhere, An Cheathru Rua edged past Bearna by 0-12 to 0-11 and Salthill/Knocknacarra beat their neighbours St Michael’s by 0-13 to 0-5.

And in the late throw-in, Mountbellew/Moylough recovered from the concession of three first-half goals to defeat Cortoon Shamrocks by 2-14 to 3-6 at Tuam Stadium.


Kya deLongchamps talks to two drivers who have revved up their lives with electric cars.Meet the motorists who are leading the charge

Guilt offers highly-entertaining drama, while McMillions is among the offerings from Sky's new documentary channelWednesday TV Highlights: Guilt-y pleasure viewing from RTÉ and a Monopoly themed heist

More From The Irish Examiner