It’s summer and holidays are high on everyone’s agenda.
A staycation offers the chance to explore our lovely isle while never being too far from home and Wicklow has pretty much everything; luxury, history, family fun and wonderful food.
Why not use Powerscourt hotel as your base as you explore the stunning scenery of the east coast or the mountains right in the heart of the county?
From golfing to Glenroe, Hollywood to hiking, there’s something for everyone.
Add its close proximity to Dublin and the county known as the ‘Garden of Ireland’ is the perfect holiday destination.
Here are eight great things to do in Wicklow.
Disconnect from work and leave the world behind for hours, or just go for a casual stroll in a stunning location. There’s a route to suit all ages and fitness levels in the valley of Glendalough. With attractions such as the Sensory Garden, the Monastic city and the scenery surrounding the lakes, there’s much to do and see here.
Whether it’s afternoon tea or ‘afternoon tee’ you’re after, Wicklow’s internationally recognised courses are a ‘hole’ lot of fun with more clubs than Rory McIlroy. There are 26 golf courses in the county with Powerscourt golf club’s two championship courses and breathtaking scenery making it one of Ireland’s leading locations for a round or two.
We’re all after a ‘wheely’ good time on holiday and if biking is your thing, there is no better place to go exploring on two wheels than the Wicklow Way. Experience the valleys, mountains, farmland and forests from a unique vantage point and get fit in the process - winning!
At 501 metres high and with amazing views of Leinster all around, the Sugar Loaf Mountain is one of Ireland’s great treasures.
Summon your inner adventurer and explore one of the several long and short routes available to walk… and it’s also great for a day out with the kids. Or, if it’s thrills you’re after why not see the scenery from a bird’s eye view and go paragliding over, and see if you can spot Powerscourt Hotel in the distance?
If you need to entertain the smallies for a few hours then Glenroe Farm has an array of animals and activities onsite. Of course, everyone of a certain age has a soft spot for the RTÉ soap that was shot there in the ‘80s and ‘90s, so it’s likely the mammies and daddies will be interested to see the home of loveable characters Biddy and Miley.
The Vikings are here! Yes, Wicklow’s Sally Gap is used as a location for shooting the popular TV series ‘Vikings’ and has also been seen in movies such as Braveheart and PS I Love You. Overlooking Lough Tay, the views have to be seen to be believed, and it’s just a short drive away from Powerscourt Hotel.
After all the adventuring, exploring (and relaxing and lounging!!), you’ll need to refill your tummy. Ireland’s culinary delights are well known and Wicklow’s restaurants and eateries are among the finest dining in the country. Sika, at Powerscourt Hotel makes the most of local produce in a seasonal menu and even offers the opportunity to see Chef de Cuisine, Peter Byrne and his team preparing your food right before your eyes from the Chef’s Table.
Looking to unwind and ‘find yourself’ on your holiday? Wicklow has the perfect place where you can get lost and rediscover yourself again. Tackle the maze, get in touch with nature and top it off with a cup of tea at Greenan Maze.
Powerscourt Hotel Resort & Spa competition
- AA Hotel of the Year, Powerscourt Hotel Resort & Spa is giving away the ultimate Grown Up Getaway for one lucky winner
- The prize includes an overnight stay for two people in a luxurious Deluxe room with breakfast overlooking the Sugar Loaf Mountain & a gourmet dinner for two in Sika Restaurant, plus a 50 minute ESPA treatment per guest.
- Outstanding amongst 5-star hotels in Ireland and set amidst one of the most historic estates in the country, Powerscourt Hotel is the ideal destination for your grown up
- Whether you’re planning a sensational spa weekend for friends, are an avid golf enthusiast looking to play the prestigious fairways, a food fanatic in search of a fine dining experience or are travelling for business, Powerscourt Hotel has something for everyone
- Powerscourt Hotel’s Grown Up Getaway package is available from €155 per person sharing until end August 2016. It includes dinner, bed & breakfast plus 20% off ESPA treatments
- To enter click here.
Terms and conditions apply
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved