The former Clifton Convalescent Home, dominating a section of the Cork suburban skyline above the River Lee at Montenotte, has come back to market after a seven year lull and lie-in.
The property runs to almost 30,000 sq ft, on 3.5 elevated acres and combines an historic, original period family home of members of the Murphy family, associated with Murphy Brewery Cork in the 1800s, along with a later 30-roomed convalescent home addition to the back, which was run until the mid 2000s by the Good Shepherd Sisters.
It ceased use as a convalescence home in 2007, due to declining numbers in the religious order and was put on the market in ‘08, guiding €4-5 million.
Although it attracted considerable interest and strong bids then, it didn’t sell.
Now, it returns for sale once more for the same Order, with the same agent, Malcolm Tyrrell of Cohalan Downing.
It’s guided at €1.2 million, and interest is already rising, he notes.
It is being offered for sale unconditionally, and has a protected green belt/open area restriction to the front.
While interest is likely from similar types of medical/nursing home users, it may also find new purposes as an education centre, offices or corporate HQ: “it would suit a multiple of alternative uses,“ says Mr Tyrrell.
There may also be residential development scope on portion of the 3.38 acre south-facing site, especially if the later building additions are removed, and maintenance levels since decommissioning has been quite high.
An early owner of the early 19th century five-bay Clifton, Montenotte was a junior branch of the Murphy family of brewers, and a Nicholas Murphy fifth son of Jeremiah Murphy lived at Clifton. His son, John Nicholas, was created a Count of the Papal State.
In 1855 he married Alice Mary daughter of Daniel Leahy, Lord Mayor of Cork in 1854. Alice Countess Murphy bequeathed the Clifton house to the Good Shepherd order in 1908, who used it as a convent.
Alice Countess Murphy also endowed the French Gothic-style chapel at the South Infirmary in 1899.
The Clifton property went on to be part of a 30 beds care/convalescent centre, with staff of 36, and a history of care going back more than 80 years.
The buildings now on the site are in two distinctive blocks, one (the original Clifton) towards the front with a strong period feel and attractive features.
The rear, three-storey building is more functional but still has a solid feel, a range of services, high ceilings and a southerly aspect.
A portion of the original Clifton land behind has since been built upon, with sheltered housing provided for the elderly to the rear in a number of bungalows.
Details: Cohalan Downing 021-4277717
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved