A pure slice of Clonakilty town centre history, its former 18th century Linen Hall, and latterly a bakery is up for sale.
Profile locations hardly come much better than the former Linen Hall, at the junction of Clon’s Connolly Street and Casement Street, right on the bypass road near the new car park, and with a much-photographed bright red street old water pump in its foreground: it’s one of Clonakilty’s most photographed features
Although some features of the old hall are protected, most of the large building/site is not, and there’s now two planning grant options for new uses, secured by its private Co Cork business owner as it’s now surplus to his initial plans for it.
Acting for the owner, selling agent Andrew Moore guides the Linen Hall at €600,000, noting its high profile and most likely new use, to encompass 5,000 sq ft of retail at ground level, with five overhead apartments.
A variation with planning grant is for a mix of retail/office, and some residential.
Built by the Earl of Shannon in 1817, the building will be 200 years old next year. In its heyday was Munster’s largest linen hall, used in the sale of brown and bleached linen from flax, grown locally and a major town employer for up to 600 weavers due to levies on linen imported at the time from England. The industry went into decline from the 1830s.
The building later operated as a successful bakery by the Houlihan family, a member of which Billy Houlihan has been a far-seeing town architect for Clonakilty and for Kinsale, building on both town’s rich heritages.
Details: Andrew Moore & Co 021-4279393
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved