Aidan Murphy’s last-gasp heroics edges Killian Kingston at Pouladuff

All-Ireland champion Aidan Murphy narrowly beat Killian Kingston in the last shot at Pouladuff to secure his place in the Munster quarter-final.

He won the opening shot, but Kingston led each of the next five. Murphy’s seventh clipped a manhole cover and broke left at Tiger’s. Kingston’s bowl clipped it too but stayed true, and he gained 90m. He looked set to make Corcoran’s Bridge in two more, but his next was too tight left and his following shot fell right.

Murphy levelled with his 10th to sight and regained a slender lead with his next to the airport lights. He edged the next two to sight. Kingston played a great 14th tight on the left past the junior line to regain the lead and he won the next two past the cross by 50m.

Murphy made the farm with his next. Kingston had a chance of making sight, but he missed too. He was still 30m fore after the next exchange. Murphy closed with a good bowl past the line. Kingston’s looked good too, but it whipped left and missed by 15m.

James Buckley beat Brian Wilmot by two bowls at Newcestown to force a tie-breaker between the same pair and Éamon Bowen for a place in the quarter-final. Buckley led from the off and was a bowl in front after three. He increased his odds in five to Mac’s lane and was two in front at Allen’s lane.

Wilmot bowled well to Desmond’s lane to knock the bowl. Buckley raised the bowl again with a great shot and was two clear after 13 to Collins’ lane, where Wilmot conceded.

Gavin Twohig beat Seán Murphy at Bauravilla to reach the Munster intermediate quarter-final. He won the opening shot, but got a poor second. He recovered with his third and followed with three good bowls to the rock to go almost a bowl clear. Murphy made the bridge in three to level.

Twohig had 40m odds after two more to the lag. After another two, Murphy led following a rub. They were short of the line in another three with Murphy 15m fore. Twohig closed with a big bowl that rubbed the left and Murphy missed it by 50m.

Chris O’Donovan beat Jerry Gibbons in the West Cork Junior A final at Ardcahan. Gibbons was almost a bowl up after two to Murray’s. O’Donovan kept it under a bowl to O’Farrell’s. Gibbons got another big one from there. O’Donovan countered with a great bowl and when Gibbons played his next too tight on the left, his lead was just five metres.

O’Donovan led with a big seventh to sight past the shop. Gibbons’ next caught the bend and missed the tip to concede a bowl. They contested that lead until Gibbons knocked it facing the quarry cross. O’Donovan then missed the cross to give Gibbons a real chance, but he missed too. O’Donovan punished him with a big shot to gain 80m odds and he won the last shot comfortably.

Thomas Boyle beat Stephen Desmond in the Cork City final at Templemichael. Desmond got a brilliant opener, but Boyle hit back with three great shots to the white wall to go two bowls clear. Desmond cut the odds to a bowl at the green, but could get no closer.

Jerry O’Riordan is Gaeltacht champion after a last shot win over Darren Oliver at Terelton. Oliver had almost a bowl after three, but O’Riordan cut it to 15m at Lehane’s lane. O’Riordan led after seven, he raised a bowl with his eighth and held that to O’Sullivan’s bend.

Oliver knocked the bowl towards the well gate and cut the odds to 25m for the last shot. He closed with another huge one, but O’Riordan beat it by two metres.

Terry Sexton led all the way against Mick Hurley in the East Cork and Waterford final at Cobh. He was almost a bowl in front after two to the cross. He had two bowls after five to Dennis’s. Hurley closed the gap to Sam’s corner and he had it under two at McCarthy’s cross. Sexton got a brilliant bowl off the cross to go two clear again.

Paul Buckley beat David O’Mahony by a bowl in the Mid-Cork semi-final at Templemartin. O’Mahony won the first four to Slyne’s. Buckley set a blistering pace to Buttimer’s lane where he had over a bowl. O’Mahony knocked the bowl to the cross, but Buckley raised it again.

Dan O’Halloran beat Jimmy Cowhig in the other semi-final at Crookstown. Cowhig started with four good shots to the wall. He misplayed his next and O’Halloran took control. He raised a bowl in the next two and won by close to two bowls.

Thomas Mackle beat James O’Donovan by a bowl in the Mother Hegarty Cup semi-final at Lyre. Big sixth and seventh shots to Crowley’s bend put him clear. He was almost a bowl in front at McCarthy’s and beat the line in four more. Cathal Toal beat Martin Coppinger by almost two bowls at Knappagh. Coppinger got a brilliant first, but followed with three poor shots. Toal led with his fifth and romped home. Ulster champion Jarlath Devlin was knocked out of the veteran championship by Anthony O’Neill on the Rock Road.

More in this section


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox


Wednesday, May 18, 2022

  • 4
  • 13
  • 30
  • 40
  • 45
  • 47
  • 11

Full Lotto draw results »