Kiely’s late show edges Cahalane

Vincent Kiely beat John Cahalane in the last shot in the opening round of the Jerry Desmond Cup at Sam’s Cross on Saturday.

Cahalane got the better start, winning all four tips to Shorten’s farm, where he had a 40m lead. They were just short of O’Donovan’s in another three, where Kiely had his first lead. Cahalane lost ground when his next bowl went right and left him with a big bowl to make the ‘Blue School’. Kiely beat that well and increased his lead to 50m with his next to the school.

Cahalane hit back with a brilliant bowl to Brennan’s, which put him back in front by 45m. They both missed sight at Cullinane’s where Cahalane was just fore. They reached the last bend in two more where Cahalane had increased his lead to 30m. Kiely fought back again to regain the lead by 10m for the last shot. Cahalane closed with a great bowl. Kiely’s was good too and rubbed to beat it by four metres.

Denis O’Driscoll had a comfortable win over Brendan O’Neill in a second Jerry Desmond Cup tie at Kildee. Two short opening shots left O’Neill almost a bowl behind and with a mountain to climb. O’Driscoll kept him on the back foot by making the first bend in four to hold his lead. He doubled the odds with another great bowl to light past O’Sullivan’s.

O’Neill closed the gap to one bowl by taking advantage of two poor shots from O’Driscoll to ‘Boreen-na-Parach’. He was almost two behind again though when O’Driscoll got a big bowl to the ‘stickeen’. He briefly rallied again, but O’Driscoll closed it out with a brilliant bowl towards the line.

Liam O’Sullivan finished with three great bowls to beat Sean Murphy in the Marsh Road semi-final.

They were level after five each to the quarry gate. Murphy got the better of the next exchange to take a good lead. O’Sullivan’s next bowl hit a pothole and Murphy drove home his advantage by making the steps in nine to go a bowl clear. He held that lead to Ballyhilty bend after another three.

The next shots turned the score. O’Sullivan got a great bowl to the middle of the wood, while Murphy played his bowl to the right at Ballyhilty cross. After Murphy’s next shot, the lead was less than a metre.

O’Sullivan’s following bowl veered right, but settled well and made the boreen. Murphy was left with his reply and missed that tip by 40m. He missed the line with his last bowl. O’Sullivan wrapped it up with a great shot past the finish to qualify for a meeting with Brian Wilmot in the final.

Michael Bohane beat Éamon Bowen Snr in the last shot at Whitechurch. Bowen started well, leading all the early shots. Bohane got a good bowl from the cottage over the brow, but Bowen beat it by 50m with a great bowl to the wall. He followed with two more good shots past Boula lane where he had almost a bowl. He held that lead up the straight.

Bohane got a good shot to the farmhouse and it took Bowen two to cover the same road. Bohane led at the Devil’s bend, but Bowen hit back with a big bowl to the wall to regain the lead. Bohane got the definitive bowl from there that went all the way to light on the straight. That gave him a cushion down to the last shot. He didn’t have a big last bowl to beat, but he played his bowl to the right. It brushed the kerb though and ran well up the hill.

Terry Sexton carried his good form to Ballinacurra where he beat Jim Coffey by two bowls. A blocked third shot cut Coffey’s lead to 10m and he never recovered. Sexton took the lead with a big shot past the church and he had almost a bowl at Perrott’s.

Coffey got a big shot from there, but Sexton powered clear again with big bowls past the GAA and over the bridge to raise almost two bowls. He increased his lead up the straight. Michael Gould easily beat Coffey too at Pouladuff on Sunday.

Jerry Gibbons beat Aidan Hurley by almost two bowls at Ballygurteen. He led after two to the bend and increased his odds to a bowl at the women’s lane. He increased his lead past the avenue and was almost two in front at O’Donovan’s. Hurley kept the lead under two and beat Gibbons in the last shot in the return score.

Joseph Murphy finished with a huge bowl at Carraig na bhFear to beat Joe Walsh. They were locked together from the start to the creamery. It was still tied at the novice line. Walsh gained the upper hand in the shots towards Crowley’s cross but then played a poor shot there. Murphy replied with a sensational last shot past the line and down the hill. Walsh missed the line and the tip.

The Mid and West Cork festival will be played next weekend at Ballinacurra, from Saturday to Monday.

More in this section


Select your favourite newsletters and get the best of Irish Examiner delivered to your inbox


Saturday, January 16, 2021

  • 12
  • 17
  • 22
  • 32
  • 38
  • 39
  • 40

Full Lotto draw results »