FOLLOWING two days of sterile debate, nobody should be surprised when the Dáil votes today to sell off the Government’s 25% stake in Aer Lingus to the British airline investment group IAG. Sterile because this crucial debate began nearly nine years ago when the other 75%was sold by the previous Fianna Fáil administration in October 2006.
Thu, 28 May, 2015
THE Government knows that selling its share in Aer Lingus will be politically tricky, and will require careful handling. In holding the issue over to yesterday’s cabinet meeting, and in moving on in the afterglow of last weekend’s same-sex marriage referendum win, it is managing its exit from the airline business with as little political hassle as can be hoped for.
Wed, 27 May, 2015