With the great weather lately, the garden is catching up on the cold spring. Pests and diseases are on the rise in the warmth so enact controls where required. Weeds are booming too.
* Before the summer heat becomes a constant (fingers crossed), weed and tidy borders in prep for mulching – and mulch to preserve water and soil bacteria.
* Take note of where bulbs are — canes or camera phone — if you plan to plant close by in coming months or wish to lift later in season or add to, come autumn. Those bulbs have been performing so a bit of thanks in the form of a liquid feed won’t go a miss.
* This is a good weekend to repair the lawn — remove any moss or thatch missed last month. Sow in any patches. Dig out any tap rooted weeds.
* Make a start to harden off indoor seed trays
* Have a nosey in your local garden centre for veg plugs that you plant out now.
* Come see me in Arboretum garden centre in Carlow today if you are around. More info on http://www.gromor.ie/events
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved