* Pot up previously layered strawberry runners.
* Plant new strawberry plants and tidy old ones after fruiting.
* Tip pinch tomatoes and trim some foliage to help ripen fruits, feed tomatoes and other vegetables that fruit,
* Set yellow sticky traps — aphids are drawn to yellow as are carrot fly and fruit damaging wasps.
* The dry days can see a rise in green and blackfly, so tip pinch runner beans and other podded climbers to stop their growing scent attraction.
* Raise marrow, pumpkins and the like to prevent rot at soil surface,
* Mulching and top dressing will help prevent water loss in this hot month too. But agitate regularly to prevent it crusting.
* Have a plate of red and orange for lunch
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved