* Sow chives because they contain the minerals iron, copper, manganese, zinc and calcium and show potential as a green manure.
* If utilising cloches or greenhouse then be vigilant for red spider mite.
* Top up mulches and top dressing around hungry crops.
* Remember too, that a good layer of compost around the base of fruit trees will reward you with a good crop later in the year.
* Feeding the soil with nutrients and bacteria rather than the plant with agro-chemicals is naturally and scientifically better. Start a heap if not already done.
* A pint of beer or stale urine (same thing in my local) will active compost heap this month.
* If you don’t have a crop of comfrey on the go — consider starting one
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved