Now is time to get lagging outdoor taps, standpipes and irrigation lines before sudden frosts and annoying bursts, writes, Fiann Ó Nuallain.
- Check overwintering veg for root rock and other potential pitfalls; earth up, stake in place, tie in or net as required.
- Prune and tidy all fruits if not completed last month.
- Cover cold susceptible crops.
- Check that compost bins are covered to prevent an excess of rain from leaching away nutrients.
- Ventilate greenhouses and polytunnels on warmer days to prevent moulds
- Insulate glasshouses with bubble wrap and wrap garden tenders against frosts
- Elevate pots off ground and remove saucers but leave one for the birds
- Hardwood cuttings are still possible but get a move on.