* Asparagus crowns can go in now and any perennial veg can be divided.
* Now is the time to dig up chicory roots to be forced in a dark warm place. The chicons will be ready to harvest in three to six weeks.
* Protect cauliflower curds by folding their leaves over as natural wrapping. This delays the opening of the flowers better than fleece and keep the curds nicely compact.
* Elsewhere, it is time to think of fleece and other protections. Early November is also the best time to plant bare-rooted apples, pears, cherries and plums.
* It may be just too late for sowing green manures but top dressing with farmyard manure or compost is a good practice to revive exhausted beds.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved