Each week, Esther N McCarthy scouts around for interesting bits for your home. This week, she suggests some gifts for Mother’s Day.
* Flowers are always in flavour, but they don’t have to be the fresh kind. Why not treat Mum to a pendant lamp, with nine flowers that will never die. €265, available from Meadows & Byrne, Clonakilty. www.meadowsandbyrne.com
* A nice little gift is Brooke & Shoals’ natural soy wax candle. This one is grapefruit and lemongrass, €17.95. Their sophisticated harmonious fragrances create divine aromas that last. Using natural soy wax from a sustainable source makes them environmentally friendly and also ensures a clean toxin-free burn. Presented in ribbon-tied boxes, they make extremely desirable gifts. Stockists include Bags & Bling, Clonakilty; Bluebells, Midleton; Health & Home, Douglas and Rohu’s Country Market, Innishannon. For more stockists information visit www.brookeandshoals.ie.
* Help Mammy prepare for spring with The Handmade Soap Company's new zesty grapefruit and May Chang hand wash and hand lotion, guaranteed to provide tired mitts with all the nourishment and TLC they could wish for. The hand lotion is €14.95 and the hand wash is €12.95. www.thehandmadesoapcompany.ie. You can buy it online or from stockists that include Blarney Woollen Mills, Cronin’s Kinsale, Indivisuals, Cobh, the Kilkenny Shop, Etain Hickey, Clonakilty, and Sweet Memento, The English Market, Cork.
* If you do decide on blooms, imagine what they’d look like in this funky vase. Shaky is an abstract, cylindrical design in a U- shape. But one of the two legs doesn’t touch the ground so the asymmetry generates a feeling of instability. www.enzyma.it, but as it’s a preview, Mammy will have to wait until April.
* Nothing like a vintage-style metal wall sign to get a message across. Take it or leave it is right. Available for €7.50 from www.dotcomgiftshop.com.
* Delight Mum’s senses with these unusual hanging lavender cottage bags, they’re straight up with the message for your lovely Mum, € €5.99 from Griffin’s homestore in Dripsey, Co Cork. www.griffinsgardencentre.ie.
* Go the tried and tested route with this gorgeous Paradise punch bouquet from Tesco, for €18.
* If your mother is the kind that hates to see things go to waste, try this fabulous upcycle of a garden rake. It comes in all different lovely colours, €30, and is the brain child of Cliona Higgins in Quay Designs. Check out the rest of her stuff on www.quaydesigns.ie.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved