Every armchair traveller needs a map lampshade to light their next virtual trip.
Choose a map of an area that you’ve visited or dream of, and create something that intrigues the eye while creating a nice library-style glow.
WHAT YOU NEED:
* A white table-style lampshade. A straight shade with a firm edged border is ideal, but any stout example will do.
* A map. Antique-style varieties are lovely, but don’t cut up family treasures. A colour photocopy onto quality heavy grade paper will work too.
* Cutting surface.
* Spray adhesive.
1. Measure the depth of your shade and add about 5mm.
2. Having marked your map, cut out a long strip to wrap around the shade with a 5mm overlap.
3. Lay the map strip face down and spray the reverse with adhesive in a well ventilated area.
4. Wrap your shade, overlapping a neat seam and trimming where needed.
5. Add a decorative edging using a glue gun if you like.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved