BED BOOST: Statins taken to reduce cholesterol can give men a boost in the bedroom by improving erections, researchers have found.
The drugs, which help to reduce the potential for heart disease, was found to act in a similar way to Viagra.
Greek scientists found erectile function improved in men with high cholesterol levels who took statins during a three-month study. But the drugs were unlikely to bring about an upturn in men who had healthy levels of cholesterol.
The findings were announced at the European Society of Cardiology Congress in Rome.
ALZHEIMER’S HOPE: A simple blood test is being developed that can predict the onset of Alzheimer’s disease in people with poor memory.
Scientists have identified a set of protein biomarkers that appear to show if a person is likely to be diagnosed with the condition.
They hope further work will lead to a test that can single out high risk patients who can be targeted with early treatment.
Prof Paul Morgan, from the University of Cardiff, said: “Our research proves that it is possible to predict whether or not an individual with mild memory problems is likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease over the next few years.
"We hope to build on this in order to develop a simple blood test that can predict the likelihood of developing Alzheimer’s disease in older people with mild, and possibly innocent, memory impairment.”
ASTHMA ALERT: Living in a damp or mouldy home from an early age is putting children at increased risk of having asthma and other respiratory symptoms well into their teenage years, according to new research.
Babies exposed to dampness in their first year of life had a 14% increased risk of developing asthma up until adolescence, according to a study which looked at nearly 15,000 people from across Europe.
Report author Dr Joachim Heinrich, a senior consultant at University Hospital, Ludwigs Maximilians University, in Munich, said: “Out of numerous suggested risk factors for asthma onset, the risk for living in a damp home is one of the most consistent findings, alongside exposure to secondhand smoke.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved