Give your next workout session a boost with a dose of the sunshine vitamin and take it to the great outdoors.
FINALLY, summer is here and that can only mean one thing: we can start hitting the park for our workouts again.
Park workouts are perfect if you don’t have a gym membership, you want to squeeze in a lunchtime session or you want to top up your vitamin D levels.
Although fancy gym equipment is nice, you don’t need it to get a solid workout in, and this super-quick 30-minute session is proof.
All you need to do is lace up, find a park bench and enjoy that fresh-air fitness.
HOW TO DO IT: Perform one minute of each exercise in Circuit A back to back with as little rest as possible.
Once one set of each exercise has been completed, rest for a minute then repeat twice more. Do the same for Circuit B.
Areas trained: CORE, HIPS
* From plank position, bring one knee forwards towards your chest. Keep the back leg straight and front leg bent.
* Jump to switch sides so that the opposite leg is straight and the other is bent with your knee towards your chest.
* Continue to alternate for each rep.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your shoulders directly over your hands throughout
Area trained: FULL BODY
* Crouch down to place your hands on the floor by your feet.
* Jump your feet back to bring your body into a plank position, then immediately jump them back to the start.
* Jump up as high as you can, then land softly and go straight into another rep.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your hips in line with your body when in plank
A. JUMPING LUNGE
Areas trained: GLUTES, QUADS, HAMSTRINGS
* Start in a lunge position with both knees at 90 degrees, back knee just above the floor.
* Jump up as high as you can, extending both legs and switching them both in the air.
* Land softly with the opposite leg in front.
* Repeat for the allotted reps, switching legs with each rep.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your torso long and upright Throughout
B. BOX JUMP
Areas trained: GLUTES, QUADS, CORE
* Stand with a park bench in front of you.
* Jump up onto the bench and land softly.
* Step back to the start and repeat.
SAFETY TIP: Bring your knees up as close to your chest as possible when you jump to work the mid-section
B. STEP-UP WITH A HOP
Areas trained: GLUTES, QUADS, HIPS, CORE
* Stand with one foot on a park bench in front of you, the other foot on the floor.
* Drive up to extend the front leg and bring the back knee up towards your chest, hopping up at the top of the movement.
* Lower and repeat.
* Perform the allotted reps on each side to complete a set.
SAFETY TIP: Keep a tall posture throughout and try not to hunch the shoulders
B. SPIDERMAN PLANK
Areas trained: CORE, SIDES
* Start in a plank position with feet on a bench and hands directly below the shoulders.
* Without tilting the hips, bring your right knee to meet your right elbow.
* Return to the start and do the same on the opposite side, alternating sides with each rep.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your hips in line with your body and lower back in a strong position
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved