Amanda Khouv puts together this high-intensity circuit that’s guaranteed to burn calories and torch fat and which is perfect for a post-holiday blitz.
JUST make sure you steer clear of tempting treats outside the gym — you can’t out-train a bad diet.
This circuit uses compound exercises that target several muscle groups at once, which means you’ll create more of an after-burn effect.
Just keep the intensity high by maintaining a fast pace and make sure you’re performing all the moves properly.
HOW TO DO IT:
Perform each move for 30 seconds, back to back. Once one full circuit is complete, take 1 minute’s rest and repeat for the allotted number of sets for your level.
Beginner: 3 sets; Intermediate: 4 sets; Advanced: 5 sets.
KIT YOU’LL NEED:
Areas trained: CORE, LEGS, SHOULDERS
* From plank position, bring your right foot up to the outside of your hand, letting the hips drop. Keep the left leg straight and right leg bent.
* Jump to switch sides so that the right leg is straight and the left leg is bent with your left foot placed outside of your hand.
* Continue to alternate for each rep.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your shoulders away from your ears and try not to strain your neck.
Areas trained: SHOULDERS, REAR UPPER ARMS, CORE
* Standing with your feet together, hold a barbell in front of your shoulders with both hands.
* Extend your arms to push the barbell up toward the ceiling.
* Lower slowly and repeat.
SAFETY TIP: Don’t allow your lower back to overarch as you push up.
Areas trained: BOTTOM, THIGHS, UPPER BACK, FRONT UPPER ARMS
* Holding a barbell in front of your thighs, bend your legs and hinge your upper body forward in a deadlift motion, extend your legs and hips to create momentum to row the barbell up towards your chin.
* Rotate your grip to drop your elbows under the barbell, dipping your body under the bar to catch it as you do so.
* Extend your body to stand up straight then reverse the movement and repeat the exercise.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your shoulders back when lowering the barbell.
Areas trained: CORE, STOMACH, SHOULDERS
* Start in plank position with forearms on a stability ball.
* Nudge the ball out in front of you as far as is comfortable then immediately return to the starting position.
* Repeat in a rapid, fluid motion.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your hips in line with the rest of your body throughout.
Areas trained: BOTTOM, THIGHS, CORE, UPPER BACK, SHOULDERS
* Hinge at the hips, drive your bottom out behind you and bend your knees to take hold of a kettlebell in front of you by the handles.
* Drive the bell backward through your legs, then extend your hips and knees to drive the bell up to around shoulder height.
* As the bell drops back down, hinge at your hips and knees again to repeat in a fluid motion.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your chest up and shoulders back throughout
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved