This simple interval workout proves you don’t need to break the bank to break a sweat, says Amanda Khouv.
OK, so a smartphone app might not be able to replace the expert knowledge of your own personal trainer, but it definitely has the potential to offer that bit of guidance to those who need a little nudge.
Endomondo, which claims to be like a ‘personal trainer in your pocket’, helps you track activities and sports.
So if you’re motivated by progress, calories burned and friendly competition, it really could help take you to the next level of your fitness.
“Endomondo can bring unique insights into your training activity by effortlessly acting as your personal log book,” explains its founder Mette Lykke.
“UsingGPS and accelerometers, it gives users accurate feedback on performance with the simple touch of a button.”
These days, not everyone is content with just doing a workout; we want to know and see what we did, how we did and how we can improve.
Wearable tech can be pretty pricey, but Endomondo gives you an alternative that’s totally free.
SIDE LEG RAISES
Areas trained: GLUTES, SIDES, CORE
* On your left side, rest only on your forearm, with your feet stacked on top of each other and your body in a straight line.
* Raise your top leg as high as possible and hold the position for two seconds, engaging your core and ensuring your hips don’t drop.
* Lower then repeat without resting.
* Once you’ve performed the allotted reps, change sides and repeat to complete a set.
* 10-30 reps each side
SAFETY TIP: Keep your shoulders back and neck long throughout
BOTTOM, QUADS, HAMSTRINGS, CORE
* From standing, take a large step forwards and bend your knees until they’re at a 90-degree angle, with your back knee hovering just above the floor.
* Push up to step back to the start and repeat on the opposite leg.
* 15 reps on each leg
SAFETY TIP: Keep your torso upright and hips upright and hips square throughout
Area trained: CORE
* Start in a plank position with your hands under your shoulders and body in a straight line from head to toe.
* Bring one knee to your chest and jump to switch sides for each rep.
* 20 reps — 10 per side
HOT TIP: Try to keep your hips as still as possible and your shoulders over your hands
Areas trained: GLUTES, HAMSTRINGS, CORE
* Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor, hip-width apart.
* Push through your heels and lift your bottom off the floor until a straight line forms through your body to your knees, squeezing your glutes as you do so.
* Lower and repeat.
* 15 reps
HOT TIP: Keep your feet glued to the floor
Areas trained: STOMACH, SIDES
* Lie on your back with your feet in the air and knees at a right angle, and fingertips by your temples.
* Twist your body to bring your left shoulder towards your right knee, extending the left leg out as you go.
* Lower then repeat on the opposite side for the following rep.
* 20 reps per side
SAFETY TIP: Keep your neck long and don’t strain it
Areas trained: GLUTES, LOWER BACK
* Lie on your front with your head relaxed on your hands, legs bent with toes together and knees slightly apart.
* Lift your knees a few centimetres from the ground – then lower again and repeat.
* 15 reps
SAFETY TIP: Really squeeze your glute muscles to take the strain off your lower back
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved