BEAR Grylls might be the ultimate survivalist, but we reckon just taking on his fitness regime is enough for us.
That’s why we asked Natalie Summers, the woman who trains Bear, to devise a workout for us based on what the man himself does to stay in top shape.
Whether you’re new to exercise or have a super busy schedule, there’s really no excuse not to get stuck into Natalie’s workout.
“One of the greatest benefits of this workout is that I’ve designed it to be adaptable to any individual’s lifestyle,” she says.
“It’s a short, effective workout to minimise the time you spend training but to gain maximum results.”
In this workout, you’ll be working on whole-body conditioning using functional movements to hit most major muscle groups and targeting your core with every move.
‘Not only does this workout burn fat, it also gets your heart stronger and improves your endurance capability,” adds Natalie.
HOW TO DO IT: Warmup, then complete the following exercises as a circuit for 20 seconds each. Rest for 10 seconds in between exercises. Rest for 1 minute and repeat. Cool down.
Areas trained: TRICEPS, SHOULDERS, CHEST, UPPER BACK, CORE
* Lie down in a bridge position with your knees bent, feet flat on the floor and hands next to your eyes, palms down and fingers pointing towards your toes.
* Press your hands into the floor and push your hips upwards, lifting your body off the floor, arching your spine and engaging your glutes, core and leg muscles.
* Pause to feel a full stretch at the top and then slowly lower back down through a bridge position and then all the way back down to the floor.
Areas trained: SHOULDERS, TRICEPS, CORE
* Standing with your feet close, hold a kettlebell with both hands, elbows tucked in close to your ribs.
* Brace your abdominals and, with a slight forward lean at the waist, press the kettlebell upwards until your arms are fully extended.
* Bring the kettlebell back down to your starting position to complete the move and repeat.
SAFETY TIP: Don’t let your lower back overarch
Areas trained: CORE, SIDES
* Lie on your left-hand side with your legs straight, elbow positioned directly under your shoulder and hips stacked.
* Tighten through your abdominals and lift your hips off the floor to create a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
* Extend your right arm overhead, lift your right leg and slowly bring your right elbow and knee towards each other to perform a side crunch.
* Fully extend your leg and arm in between reps, without lowering your lifted leg.
* Once all reps are complete, switch sides and repeat.
SAFETY TIP: Don’t let your hips drop out of line with the rest of your body
Area trained: CORE
* From a plank position, bring one knee in towards your chest as the other stays straight. Keep your back leg straight and front leg bent.
* Jump to switch sides so the opposite leg is straight and the other is bent.
* Continue to alternate for each rep.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your shoulders over your hands throughout
Areas trained: BICEPS, UPPER BACK, SHOULDERS
* With knees bent and upper body tilted forward, hold a barbell with both hands, arms extended towards the floor.
* Row the barbell up towards your ribs, squeezing shoulder blades together at the top of the motion.
* Lower back up to the start and repeat.
SAFETY TIP: Keep a flat back throughout
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved