You’ll need all your strength for this class, which pushes you to the max every time, says Amanda Khouv
WE’VE all got the memo by now that to earn ourselves a flat tum, we need to do more than just a few sit-ups. But, if you’re still not sure where to start when it comes to torching that muffin top, we’ve got an awesome Velocity workout to get you going.
“Velocity gets you fit, strong and lean, with a composition natural to your body’s shape,” says personal trainer James Pisano.
The workout involves a circuit training structure. It’s the perfect way to shed fat and tone up all over – and get that tum back to flat!
With very little rest periods it’s tough going, but it works.
HOW TO DO IT: Perform each exercise for for 45 seconds, all without rest. Once complete, go back to the start and repeat the whole routine one more time.
KIT YOU’LL NEED: Kettlebell — step — stability ball — bench
Area trained: QUADS
Start with your left foot on the step, standing alongside it.
- Jump up and over, exchanging your left foot for the right foot and straight back across. Keep this up.
- Maintain the motion and make sure you keep that jump between steps.
Areas trained: BOTTOM, CORE, QUADS, HAMSTRINGS
- Hold the kettlebell by the sides of the handle and keep it close to your chest. Feet should be slightly wider than shoulder-width with toes pointing forwards.
- Engage your core and squat down, pushing your bottom back and keeping the knees behind the toes until the hips and knees are in line.
- Push back up to return to the start and repeat.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your head up and chest forwards throughout
Areas trained: CORE, QUADS, HIPS Technique:
- Start in a plank position on your hands, with hands under shoulders.
- Raise your left knee to your chest, keeping the foot off the ground, then extend the left leg, pushing the foot back down to the floor. As you put your left foot back down, raise your right foot up towards your chest.
- Keep this up at a high speed, alternating legs.
SAFETY TIP: Keep your neck strong and don’t let your head drop
Areas trained: STOMACH, SIDES Technique:
Lie on your back on the floor with your feet in the air and legs apart.
- Reach up and over to bring the right hand to the left foot.
- Go back to the start and repeat, alternating sides with each rep.
HOT TIP: Keep your shoulders off of the floor throughout
STABILITY BALL PIKE
Areas trained: CORE, SHOULDERS, STOMACH
Technique: n Start in a plank position on your hands with your shins resting on a stability ball.
- Engage your core and roll the ball towards your hands, lifting your bottom into the air by keeping your legs straight. Keep rolling it forwards until your hands, arms, back and bottom line up in a vertical line.
- Slowly roll the ball back to the start by extending the whole body again.
SAFETY TIP: Don’t overarch your lower back as you extend your back into a plank
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved