If neither time nor money are things you can afford to part with, this fitness app will help you make it ‘Swork’.
THERE’S an app for everything now.
And for those looking to get fit on a budget, then yes, there’s an app for that, too.
Sworkit is a free fitness app that allows you to customise your workout to suit your goals, as well as the time you can dedicate to your session. It then provides clear video instructions to help even beginners get through their workout without hiccups. No gym fees, no travel time and no leaving the house. The only thing you need to bring is a pinch of motivation.
Try this high-intensity, low-impact workout from the Sworkit guys. It’ll give your full body a wake-up call and you don’t need any equipment at all.
The best part? You’ll be done and dusted in about five minutes, depending on which level you choose. Ready, then?
HOW TO DO IT: Perform the moves non-stop at full effort — once-through for beginner/ intermediate, twice for advanced.
Areas trained: SIDES, CORE, BOTTOM, THIGHS
* Begin standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your fingers placed behind your neck with your elbows extended out to each side.
* Twist to bring your right knee and left elbow towards each other as you close as you can comfortably get them.
* Return to the start and alternate sides: continue this for duration of the exercise interval.
For a progression try it with a straight leg
Areas trained: SHOULDERS, TRICPEPS, LOWER BACK
* Begin standing with feet shoulder-width apart and arms straight overhead with palms facing forward.
* Lower your arms until your elbows make a 90-degree angle, while keeping your hands and elbows as far back as possible.
* Press your arms upward until elbows are completely straight overhead.
* Continue for the duration of the exercise interval.
Hold a dumbbell in each hand to make this harder
PIVOTING UPPER CUTS
Areas trained: LEGS, BOTTOM, SHOULDERS, ARMS, CORE
* Explode to a standing position and twist your body as you uppercut your right fist high above your head and across your body, keeping both feet on the ground.
* Return to the starting squat position and repeat with the opposite arm exploding upward and across to the other side.
* Repeat, alternating for duration of interval.
Hold a light dumbbell in each hand to increase the challenge
Areas trained: STOMACH, LOWER BACK
* Lie on your back with your hands behind your neck. Bring your knees towards your chest until your lower back is completely flat to the ground. Hold that knee position throughout the movement.
* Bring your right elbow and chin as close as possible to your left knee. Return to starting position.
* Then bring your left elbow and chin as close as possible to your right knee.
* Repeat this pattern for the duration of the exercise interval.
Keep your neck strong to prevent it from straining
Areas trained: HAMSTRINGS, SIDES, CORE, LOWER BACK
* Begin with your legs wider than shoulder- width apart and your arms straight and long, reaching out to each side.
* Bring your left foot up to the opposite side to meet your right fingertips.
* Return your leg and arm to the start position and alternate to bring your right foot towards your left hand. Repeat.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved