Celebrating summer by stepping out in a skirt? Dare to bare those legs with this pin-perfecting workout.
There are many reasons to love summer: the lighter evenings, blooming flowers, park workouts and, of course, an excuse to update our workout wardrobes.
But one of the best things is the warm weather. Okay, we might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, but going bare-legged is acceptable come springtime.
So, if you’re planning on digging out your favourite skirt, we’ve got the workout for you.
These lower-body focused moves will have you feeling cool and confident in no time, so you can reveal those newly toned pins in whichever skirt style floats your boat — we hear 1970s prints are in this season…
KIT YOU’LL NEED:
Bench, stability ball
HOW TO DO IT:
Perform the allotted reps for each move, once, in a circuit format. Rest for 60-90 seconds. Repeat.
Beginner: 3 x 5 reps
Intermediate: 4 x 5 reps
Advanced: 5 x 5 reps
nStart balanced on your right leg in a slight squat, with your left leg behind your right.
Leap across to the left, landing on the left leg – again in a slight squat.
* As soon as you land, leap across to the right again performing the same action on the other side.
* One jump to each side counts as arep.
* Repeat continuously.
* Stand on one side of a bench and take hold of each side of it with your hands.
* Jump both legs over the bench, keeping hold of it, so that you end up in the same position on the opposite side.
* Continuously jump over the bench, trying to keep a reasonably fast pace. Jumping from left to right and back again counts as one rep.
Try not to hunch your shoulders
STABILITY BALL CURL
* Lie with your feet on a stability ball, with your legs straight and your arms on the floor.
* Lift your hips up toward the ceiling to create a straight line from your feet to your neck.
* Bend your legs to pull the stability ball toward your bottom.
* Reverse the move and repeat the exercise for the allotted reps.
Keep your neck long, and head on the floor, throughout.
* Bend at your knees and hips to lower your bottom out behind you as low as possible.
* Push up through your heels to return to the starting position, and repeat.
Keep your chest up and shoulders back, throughout.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved