We’ve all had ‘awky moes’, and now everyone is sharing their embarrassing stories online, says Róisín Burke.
PEOPLE online use the phrase ‘that awkward moment’ to describe incidents of cringing embarrassment.
The phrase has resulted in dedicated Facebook pages and Twitter accounts, and the hashtag is used to join all ‘awky mo’ sufferers in a cyber support group of sarcasm and wit.
‘Awky moes’ can happen anywhere, and at any time. It could be bumping into your boss in a pub while he’s enjoying a quiet midweek pint and you’re knocking back the vodka.
Or it could be having a dog enthusiastically sniff your crotch while you are conversing with the owner.
Or you see someone in town you don’t want to say hello to — but you don’t want to be rude — so you wait to see what they do, while they are waiting to see what you do, and eventually someone panics and starts a doomed conversation.
Then, there are those surprisingly awkward moments, the ones that catch you unaware.
One minute you are engaged in comfortable conversation, then someone drops the tone and you are trapped in an inappropriate one.
These conversations seem to rear their ugly heads most often at Christmas parties and weddings. Or what about Freudian slips that transform a simple sentence into a racy one?
Even Hollywood has tuned into the fun caused by ‘awky moes’. Ricky Gervais shot to fame with his candid humour in The Office, and his truly awful, awkward moments became the stuff of TV legend.
Actor and writer Seth Rogen has enjoyed huge success with the ‘awky moes’ of youth, and comedian Will Ferrell continues his reign as master of the art with his versatile, but consistent, portrayal of inappropriately rude characters and their distinctive struggles with adulthood, sexuality and romantic endeavours.
But social media has proved that anyone can have a red-faced day. Here are a few of our favourites, as gleaned from Twitter and Facebook:
That awkward moment when you realise you are wrong — but continue to argue anyway.
Awkward Moments @soveryawkward
That awkward moment when you start to tell a funny story and realise half way through it is going nowhere.
That Moment Tweet @Thatmomenttweet
That awkward moment when you are at your friend’s house and their parents start screaming at them, so you pet the dog.
Marie jughey @itsvanessaster
That awkward moment when you are not sure if something is your actual memory or if your brain made it up.
All Awkward Moments @Awkward_Mmnts
The moment when you accidentally send a text, meant for your boyfriend, to one of your friends.
Daetron Rashad @yourstruly_Dae
That awkward moment when you go for a handshake and they go for a hug.
Facebook/ That Awkward Moment
* That awkward moment when you see a bunch people from school hanging out at the mall and you’re there with your mom.
* That awkward moment when you remember something funny, start smiling like an idiot, and everyone stares at you wondering why you’re smiling.
* That awkward moment when someone is crying and you’re trying your hardest not to laugh.
* That awkward moment when you’re in super-deep thought. Then, three minutes later, you realise that you’ve been staring at someone directly.
* That awkward moment when someone walks in while you’re changing.
* That awkward moment when you confidently say the wrong answer aloud.
* That awkward moment when you say ‘goodbye’ to someone and you both walk off in the same direction.
* That awkward moment when you’re talking to someone, but you can’t remember their name, so you try to avoid introducing them to the person you’re with.
* That awkward moment when you’re trying to dodge someone, and you both step the same way... twice.
* That awkward moment when you’re holding two things, throw the wrong one in the bin, and have to fish it out.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved