From the catwalk to the red carpet, it’s all about gentle ripples this season. But how do you create these perfect soft coils? Katie Wright asks the experts.
LONG-HAIRED ladies, it’s time to put down your straighteners because right now a ripple effect is in full force in the beauty world.
Backstage at the SS17 shows and throughout awards season, hair stylists created a slew of gorgeous waved looks, but these aren’t the sort of ’dos that you can just glance at and copy.
Luckily, we’ve got step-by-step guides for three of the best, so you can get ahead of the curve...
THE HOLLYWOOD WAVE
As seen at: DSquared2 SS17 created by Sam McKnight
Get the look
1. Apply a small amount of mousse to the roots at the top of the head to add hold. Using a pin tail comb, make a clean side parting towards the left, from the forehead to the crown.
2. Section off parts of the hair ready for curling and lightly spray with hairspray. Create waves using a curling iron, pinning each ringlet in place with sectioning clips. Leave to set.
3. Once cool, remove the clips and apply hairspray. Brush the hair flat using a soft bristle brush and tuck behind the ears.
* John Frieda Luxurious Volume Perfectly Full Mousse, €7.19 www.feelunique.com
* John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier Intense Hold Hairspray, currently reduced to €5.13 from €7.69, Boots www.boots.ie
* Babyliss Volume Waves,€24 www.feelunique.ie
THE SLICKED-BACK WAVE
As seen at: Jason Wu SS17 created by Orlando Pita, Tresemme New York Fashion Week Ambassador
Get the look
1. Apply a small amount of mousse from root to tip. Use a round brush to blow-dry the hair so it has natural body, then apply a coin-sized amount of hair oil or serum.
2. Part the hair from top to bottom and hold the top layer in a ponytail. Pull out one-inch sections of the bottom half and curl in using a curling wand. Release the top ponytail and repeat the process.
3. Spray the hair with a generous amount of hairspray and use a wide comb to pull hair back for a sleek wet look. Angle the comb to a slight side part to add extra detailing and subtle lift at the roots.
4. To finish the look, spritz the hair with hydrating mist for a healthy, glossy shine.
* Tresemme Beauty-Full Volume Mousse, €4, Boots www.boots.ie
* Tresemme Firm Hold Hairspray, €3.99, Boots www.boots.ie
* Tresemme Botanique Nourish And Replenish Hydrating Mist, €4. Boots www.boots.ie
* GHD Curve Classic Wave Wand, €149 www.ghdhair.com
THE LAID-BACK WAVE
As seen at: Tome SS17 created by Antoinette Beenders, Aveda Global Creative Director
Get the look
1. Apply Damage Remedy Split End Repair to the ends of completely dry hair to instantly draw and bind separated ends back together.
2. Create a middle part then spritz Thickening Tonic all over hair.
3. Wrap one-inch-wide sections of hair around a large-barrel curling iron. To form ripples rather than corkscrews, hold the iron horizontally to the head before winding strands around the barrel, making sure to keep the ends out of the heat.
4. Work another pea-size drop of Split End Repair through ends for a piece-y effect, then finish by misting with hair spray.
* Aveda Thickening Tonic, €23, Debenhams www.debenhams.ie
* Aveda Damage Remedy Split End Repair, €34, Debenhams www.debenhams.ie
* Aveda Air Control Hair Spray, €25.50, Debenhams www.debenhams.ie
* Cloud Nine Waving Wand, €130 www.littlewoodsireland.ie
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved