Smooth and sleek or artfully undone — take your pick with this catwalk-inspired style, says Katie Wright
FROM the catwalks to the red carpet, slicked back hair has been EVERYWHERE this season. And no wonder — the sleek style is equal parts edgy and polished, and because the rest of your hair is down, it’s much easier to achieve than a complicated updo.
At the SS17 shows, hair stylists went down two routes. There was the perfectly preened and smoothed look, as seen at Balmain, Carolina Herrera, and Marchesa, or the artfully messy wet-look vibe seen at Markus Lupfer.
Can’t decide which to try? We got the lowdown from the experts on how to create both...
SLEEK AND SHINY
Sam McKnight created this smooth, straight look at the Balmain SS17 show.
Get the look:
1. Lightly spray the hair with texture spray to prep, and apply a mousse to the roots for hold.
2. Create a sharp parting on the left side of the head to the crown with a pin tail comb.
3. Straighten the hair using a straightening iron, then apply gel on both sides and on top of the head and comb through.
4. Using a flat bristle brush, smooth the lengths, brushing from the top of the head, to seal in flyaways.
5. Finish with a moisturising cream for a sleek, wet look and set in place with a strong holding hair spray.
- Hair by Sam McKnight Easy-Up Do Texture Spray, €28.50, and Hair by Sam McKnight Modern Hairspray, €25, Liberty (www.libertylondon.com);
- John Frieda Frizz Ease Curl Reviver Mousse, €7.99, Boots (www.boots.ie)
WET AND WILD
Embracing a natural, unpolished feel, the slicked back hair created by Bumble and Bumble at Markus Lupfer SS17 was effortlessly cool.
Get the look:
1. Wet the hair thoroughly with primer from root to tip.
2. Apply styling cream heavily on the roots, all the way down to the ends. Create a slick, heavy side parting and use a diffuser to blow-dry the hair.
3. Pull the hair back into a low quiff while keeping the side parting deep and defined. Ensure the hair is slick with product on the sides and slightly lifted on top.
4. Wet the hair down further with gel and finish with a spritz of hair spray.
- BB Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat/UV Protective Primer, €24.95, and BB Don’t Blow It H (Air) Styler,€27.95 (LookFantastic.com, free p&p)
- BB Curl Anti Humidity Gel-Oil, €35.50, and BB Cityswept Finish, €30, Boots (www.boots.ie)
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved