Perfection is so last year... Katie Wright gets the low-down on the worn-in beauty trend.
“Emotional, corrupted make-up... Make-up that’s been somewhere and done something - lived.”
This is how make-up artist Alex Box described the look at Veronique Leroy at Paris Fashion Week.
And it’s an aesthetic that reverberated around the SS17 shows, where pristine lips and precise eyeliner were abandoned, in favour of messy daubs of colour and smudged kohl.
There are three key components to the ‘real’ beauty look, and the good news is you can combine as many as you like. Because when the vibe is this undone, there’s no risk of looking overdone...
1. BARELY-THERE SKIN
To achieve a glowy, almost sweaty base, you want it to appear that you’ve got no foundation on at all.
How? By simply dabbing concealer in the places you need it most, using a glowy tinted moisturiser, or mixing a few drops of foundation with your moisturiser.
Finish with a dusting of a cool-toned highlighter across your cheekbones.
* Laura Mercier Candleglow Concealer & Highlighter, €32, Brown Thomas ( www.brownthomas.com )
* Clinique BIY Blend It Yourself Pigment Drops, €34, Debenhams ( www.debenhams.ie )
* Too Faced ‘Love Lights’ Highlighter in Blinded By The Light, €30, Debenhams (www.debenhams.ie)
2. LAST NIGHT’S EYELINER
To get that ‘slept-in’ eyeliner look, there’s no need to actually wear it overnight (unless you really want to).
Instead, roughly line your eyes with black kohl pencil then smudge with your finger or a small beauty blender until it’s sufficiently smoked out.
For a more glossy finish, add a little Mixing Medium or Vaseline.
* Lottie London AM to PM Kohl Eyeliner in Smoke, €5.39 ( www.asos.com free p&p)
* MAC Mixing Medium in Shine, €19.80 ( www.maccosmetics.co.uk )
3. STAINED LIPS
Forget sharp lip liners and carefully filled-in lips; the undone vibe means lipstick that looks like it’s done battle with several rounds of Pinot Grigio.
The shade is up to you, but a bright, highly-pigmented formula is essential - smear it on the centre of your lips and blend outwards for a beautifully blurred feel.
* MAC Lipstick in Flamingo, €20, Brown Thomas (www.brownthomas.com)
* Nars Charlotte Gainsbourg Lip Tint in Double Decker, €25, Brown Thomas (www.brownthomas.com)
* Buxom ‘Wildly Whipped’ Lightweight Liquid Lipstick in Exhibitionist, €18, Debenhams.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved