Downsize your bathroom cabinet for holiday season. Lisa Haynes reveals the must-have minis for travelling light.
IF you’ve ever had to sit on your suitcase, required help to zip it shut, or joined the excess baggage queue at the airport, you’re probably — hang on, definitely — a hopeless over-packer.
Join the club; it seems women pack an average 15 full-sized products to maintain their regime abroad, according to a recent survey by Eurostar.
The solution? Switching to ‘takeaways’, aka mini versions of your can’t-be-without faves.
Here are the shrunken essentials, so you can travel light — without compromising on cosmetics — this summer...
Stow a sleep mask and mini hydrators in your hand luggage, and you’ll step off the plane looking like you’ve just had a long afternoon in the spa.
* No need to worry about messy oil spillage with This Works Skin Deep Beauty Oil.
Target dried out plane skin exactly where nourishment’s needed, with the clever mini rollerball, €26 for 8ml ( www.thisworks.com plus p&p).
* Condense your lip salve, beauty balm and recovery cream into one wonder tin, with Ouli’s Ointment Original.
You can even use the balm to soothe insect bites and tame humidity hair, €28.31 for 50ml ( www.oulis-ointment.com, price includes p&p).
* Stave off aeroplane bugs and anxiety with de Mamiel Altitude Oil.
Recline your plane seat, inhale the energising elixir deeply, and you’ll instantly feel transported to first class, €34.50 for 10ml ( www.demamiel.com plus p&p).
Keep your holiday bathroom clutter-free, packing only the bare essentials you’ll use every single day of your trip.
* Ditch the full-sized, heavyweight toiletries for the carry-on approved Malin+Goetz 1oz Essential Kit.
It’s top-to-toe cleansing via luxe little bottles, including shampoo, conditioner and face and body cleansers, €24.65 for six 29ml minis ( www.malinandgoetz.co.uk ).
* Want holiday relaxation to extend to your hair-washing routine? No problem; just be sure to pack a nifty little Batiste Dry Shampoo On The Go in Tropical.
The mini can instantly refreshes, adds volume, and makes hair smell like coconuts, €1.95 for 50ml ( www.Superdrug.com ).
* Sunglasses off? Get into sundowner mode with Code VLM Mini Volumising Lengthening Mascara.
The portable mini creates a big impact, with a fibre-based formula that won’t flake, smudge or budge, €12.30 for 3.5ml ( www.code-beautiful.com free p&p).
* Switch your cumbersome high-tech toothbrush for the Sonic Chic Urban — a compact (and super-bright) electric toothbrush that still gives you 22,000 strokes a minute, currently reduced to €11.24 from €22.49
(Boots stores only).
Whether sightseeing or pool lounging, leave more room for books with clever applicators that save on space.
* Wave goodbye to messy, bulky SPFs and hello to Nivea Sun Protect & Moisture Roll On SPF50.
Delivers just the right amount of lightweight lotion, exactly where you want it, €7.25 for 50ml ( www.Superdrug.com ).
* Lose the sweat moustache and beady brow in seconds, with NYX Fresh Face Blotting Paper.
These handy sheets instantly mattify and freshen clammy complexions, when loose powder isn’t an option, €5 for 100 sheets ( www.boots.ie from July 8).
* When travelling with babies it’s all too easy to prioritise their travel kit and forget about your own beauty regime.
To make things super simple, pick up the Beginning Travel Kit for Mum, which is made from natural and organic-based ingredients.
It includes a belly balm, facial mist, bath milk and massage oil.
All that’s needed is a few minutes to pamper yourself. €31 (
* Go from daybed to bar with one slick of Charlotte Tilbury Beach Stick in Moon Beach.
Use the rose gold colour stick on lips and cheeks, or to add subtle sun-kissed highlights, €40 for 6.5g (
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved